Bio Diesel

Old January 14th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

Default Bio Diesel

Anyone any experience of buying BioDiesel - where from and how much? Also is
there any appreciable difference in performance. thanks in advance.

Old January 14th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"etomd" [email protected] wrote in message
Anyone any experience of buying BioDiesel - where from and how much? Also
is there any appreciable difference in performance. thanks in advance.

Ran my van on it for 3 months last year when i was touring europe.

It's sold all over the place in germany, some places in france, from the
pumps at petrol stations.

in germany they have at least 1 bio diesel pump in or near a town, in cities
it's common to find 4 or 5 petrol stations selling the stuff.

unfortunately in england we're way behind, there's apparantly one petrol
station that sells 100% bio diesel from the pump, and lots of others that
claim to sell bio diesel, but it's only 5% mixed in with regular diesel, so
no price differance, germany has been running 5% bio in all diesel pumps for
years,

in germany lowest i paid was 88 cents a litre, highest about 1 euro 02 a
litre, this was always at least 5 cents a litre below normal dino diesel at
the pumps, and in some cases a good 20 cents below.

My van ran much better on bio, much smoother and quieter, and i got an
average of 55 miles extra to a tank full on bio compared to dino diesel,
proven when i came back to england and ran on english diesel, and the mpg
figures dropped again, got them all logged on the mpg calculator logger
proggy i have on my pocket pc, which i also use for gps in the van.

certian engine makers don't like bio diesel tho, and won't approve it's use,
especialy at 100% bio, so check with your car's manufacturer to see if it's
approved for bio diesel, the older the engine the less problems, the newest
diesels are the ones to have problems... apparantly, but it seems to be more
that the makers wont test the engines on bio, so wont honnor any warrent
claims if the fuel system is dammaged for any reason, and they find you've
ran on bio at some point.

My van is a 1997 iveco turbo daily, 2.8 litre turbo intercooled engine,
direct injection, and it loves the bio diesel, i can climb hills even better
than normal on bio, mpg figures are better, engine less noisey and smoother,
and the exhaust is much nicer, smells like freshly fried do-nuts, so not
recomended to run on bio when your starving