nosewieghts

Old January 16th 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin

Default nosewieghts

Can anyone explain, in layman's language, what effect towing a van that has
a greater noseweight than the handbook allows, actually has on towability
etc? I ask because I have a Honda CRv and the noseweight in the book says a
maximum of 50kg is allowed and most caravans are heavier than this.

Old January 16th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
Can anyone explain, in layman's language, what effect towing a van that
has a greater noseweight than the handbook allows, actually has on
towability etc? I ask because I have a Honda CRv and the noseweight in the
book says a maximum of 50kg is allowed and most caravans are heavier than
this.

A noseweight of around 7% of the caravans laden weight is recommended for
towing, however, you shouldn't exceed the cars maximum specified noseweight
(or indeed other parameters/weights associated with towing). If you follow
that guide you can't tow much with a Honda CRV ...... maybe that's why you
don't see many of these doing that job.

If you exceed the cars specified noseweight you _may_ overload suspension,
not have the correct towing geometry, cause mechanical damage to the towbar
and/or car parts, cause failure of the towbar. In addition, you _may_
invalidate your insurance if an accident occurs and this aspect is followed
up.

That is a very low noseweight Landrover Freelander Td4 is 150kg and I
_understand_ the Nissan Xtrail is 125Kg (but don't quote me on the latter
one)

Richard

Old January 16th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
George Hendry

In message , Harry Pleavin
writes
Can anyone explain, in layman's language, what effect towing a van that has
a greater noseweight than the handbook allows, actually has on towability
etc? I ask because I have a Honda CRv and the noseweight in the book says a
maximum of 50kg is allowed and most caravans are heavier than this.

In pure laymans language...

If you exceed the manufacturers limit then you become liable for all
damage caused to your own or third parties life and property without
recourse to insurance who will welcome the opportunity to avoid
liability.

Also quite simply, do you not think that the people who built your car
have a greater knowledge of the strength of individual components than
you might have.

The tow bar will also be designed to only be viable within the weight
range that the manufacturer of the vehicle states.

These are all things that either you should have investigated before you
purchased a caravan or should have been pointed out to you by the
retailer if you bought your caravan from a dealer.

Dealers have a duty of care.

--
George Hendry

Old January 16th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:21:16 GMT, "Harry Pleavin"
wrote:

|Can anyone explain, in layman's language, what effect towing a van that has
|a greater noseweight than the handbook allows, actually has on towability
|etc? I ask because I have a Honda CRv and the noseweight in the book says a
|maximum of 50kg is allowed and most caravans are heavier than this.

Unreasonable generalisation :-(
My van is way *under* all the recommendations, I have to be *very* careful
to get my nosewieght as high as possible.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
Old January 16th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old January 16th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning