TP2 help please

Old January 17th 06, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Default TP2 help please

Hi I have just removed my battery and TP2 unit from my van to charge it in
the house after I flattened the battery by leaving a radio on by mistake. I
have unplugged the little black plug that connects it to the caravans 12v
system and unplugged the TP2 from the mains in the van. I then plugged the
TP2 into the 240v at home to charge it. when I did this all the lights
started flashing ? now it shows the charge light on full and the charging
light flashing ( after 30mins) Any idea ? Does the unit have to be in the
van with the black plug in place to charge it ? is it possible to charge the
battery in the TP2 in the house disconnected from the van as I am trying to
do.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old January 17th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Tinkapace" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi I have just removed my battery and TP2 unit from my van to charge it in
the house after I flattened the battery by leaving a radio on by mistake.

I had one of them in the old Swift Cottingham. Good kit, simple and
effective.
It's just a mains supply unit with a built in battery charger.
You can charge the battery from the house supply by connecting it to the
mains. That's just the same as when you connect to the post at a caravan
site. Make sure the clamps are tightly connected to the battery.
If your battery is flat you need a proper battery charger. The TP2 (and all
caravan systems) are designed to keep the battery at about twelve volts, not
to fully charge it due to the possibility of it gassing (hydrogen).
If you've done all that but it's not charging and the lights are flashing,
maybe the battery's goosed.
DaveK.

Old January 17th 06, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

That could be it then I may need to charge the battery with a charger the
battery is only 6 months old and has only been discharged fully once( this
accidental time) cant understand why the TP2 will not charge it from flat
though ? I believe I need a special charger and cannot use my car charger is
this right ?

Old January 17th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Tinkapace" wrote in message
.uk...
That could be it then I may need to charge the battery with a charger the
battery is only 6 months old and has only been discharged fully once( this
accidental time) cant understand why the TP2 will not charge it from flat
though ? I believe I need a special charger and cannot use my car charger
is this right ?

No caravan charger will be effective on a flat battery, doesn't produce the
required 13 to 14 volts.
A leisure battery that's been run completely flat is probably knackered.
(Below ten volts on test-means scrap it).
Ordinary car battery charger should be ok on a leisure battery so long as
you don't cook it by leaving it on for days.
DaveK.