Going to view a 1st van . Advice pls

Old January 17th 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

Default Going to view a 1st van . Advice pls

Hi All,
I started the process of getting a caravan end of last summer. I haven't
actually got the van yet...... but I bought a 2.9CRDi KIA Sedona c/w towbar
in September and put my name down for a storage spot which I now have
started renting. So basically I am now in a position to buy.

I'm off on Sunday to view a 98 Elddis from a private owner. The guy seemed
very geniune and I reckon I'm a decent judge of character. The van was
kitted out with all the posh stuff and full awning etc. Its at a secure
storage site so we have to meet up to then go and view

I'm one of those people though that go viewing cars and end up putting my
rose tinted stupidity goggles on and end up buying a lemon that needs loads
of things fixing on it.

So basicically I'm wanting to make up a checklist to run through and I
invite you lot to add threads to this post which I will generate a list from
before I go.

Can we expand around :-

- proving age
- servicing records
- damp & spongey floors ( eg should I just throw all the cushions out and
search underneath
- structural damage & water ingress
- functional checking of all the kit eg aircon , battery , fridge
- awning....could it full of holes if the van was only used for 5 days last
year?

I feel that to do a proper comprehsive check it could take hours which could
be quite awkward. Would I be better to check out the critcal things, then
secure the van with a deposit subject to a more thorough check. I suppose
this is why lots of people flock to places like Glossop Caravans and get
warranties, but I personally loathe dealing with places like that...not to
mention the prices.

Thx

Old January 17th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"ToxOgrady" wrote in message
[...]

Registration document will be in sellers name and will have a vin number of
17 digits which will match the 17 digit number on the chassis and on the
windows. there will be a cut out in the a frame cover to allow you to view
the number. The 8th letter from the end should be a 'V'

- servicing records

Should be a stamped book and service invoices

- damp & spongey floors ( eg should I just throw all the cushions out and
search underneath

Floor will feel spongy as you walk along the van, if not, no problem

- structural damage & water ingress

Needs a meter to check, and well worth doing.

- functional checking of all the kit eg aircon , battery , fridge

Ask, and expect a demonstartion of all the facilities including water
heater. Lack of use causes more problems than using them regularly.

- awning....could it full of holes if the van was only used for 5 days
last year?

Yup, could have been put away damp, get it out and even erected is very
desirable.

I feel that to do a proper comprehsive check it could take hours which
could be quite awkward.

If you are up front and say you will buy if it all checks out, then what has
the vendor got to hide.

Would I be better to check out the critcal things, then
secure the van with a deposit subject to a more thorough check.

Could be a way forward.

I suppose
this is why lots of people flock to places like Glossop Caravans and get
warranties, but I personally loathe dealing with places like that...not to
mention the prices.

Would you go to work for no wages? Nope didn't think so.

Thx

Cheers

Old January 18th 06, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

[email protected] home wrote:
"ToxOgrady" wrote in message
[...]

David

Hi All

Best to take a friend along, ideally a caravanner although anyone will
do since you're after a second pair of eyes and somebody else's
thoughts are invaluable. Maybe if you let this group know where your
viewing the van maybe somebody might spare a couple hours to help you
out.

Bob

Old January 18th 06, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I'm off on Sunday to view a 98 Elddis from a private owner.

I'd go with a knowledgeable accomplice.
Damp is the enemy. Have a good sniff in cupboards and bedding lockers. Damp
meter could be useful (but don't poke holes in his walls). Smokers and
animal lovers have a pong that will never leave. Grubby carpet isn't a
problem, manufacturers use the cheapest tat and it can be replaced for 50
with good stuff.
What layout? We have a two berth with end washroom. Just two of us but a
four/five berth with rear end dinettes would suit better. I reckon my 1998
Lunar Solar GTS is worth about 5500-but there must be well over 1500 worth
of kit.
Gas bottles, awnings, water containers, spare wheel, electric cable, etc
aren't cheap so consider the value if they come with the van.
Last spring went with a pal to buy a 1999 Elddis five berth, 200 miles from
home- bought on eBay for 6000 so no turning back. Once home he had a proper
look, evidence of damp at rear corner and in wardrobe where the heater pipe
fitted through roof. Cost 400 for repairs.
Still not a bad deal as the repair is guaranteed and the van came with two
awnings and all the gear.
Nice extras- if there's a rear window, it's useful to have a view through
from the driver's seat. Cassette toilet tank access from offside (opposite
the awning side). Exterior mains electric point. Removeable front exterior
locker door (as Swift used to do) not hinged, which does your back in or on
big springs and levers which take up the interior space.
Springy floor is caused by delamination of the toytown plywood on the
polyfoam floor. Feels ominous but you can repair it for about 50 (you can
negotiate more than that off the asking price).
Will need two new tyres (after five years they're knacked).
To remove the brake drums and clean the brakes requires a 260ft lbs torque
wrench on the (one shot) hub nut. You won't have one so it's a dealer
service to be paid for.
As you said, remove those rosy tinted specs and check all over. Dents on the
body panels (where it's been clobbered with falling awning poles) cannot be
repaired like a car dent. You're stuck with them. Very small can be
concealed with a reflector or shiny badge.
You want some assurance that everything works. If away from the mains, that
could be difficult unless you have a generator.
At least you can check water on, pump, gas on, cooker and hob, water heater,
shower, all twelve volt kit working.
DaveK.