Dover parking

Old January 26th 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rona

Default Dover parking

Never sailed from Dover before so can anyone tell us if there is dock
parking or similar near the ferry for the night before we sail? Otherwise a
cheap site nearby?
Thanks
Rona

Old January 26th 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Rona" wrote in message
Never sailed from Dover before so can anyone tell us if there is dock
parking or similar near the ferry for the night before we sail? Otherwise
cheap site nearby?

on the quay side, free between 8 pm and 8 am (might be 6 pm, but deffo 8 am
when the charges start again)

dedicated caravan parking bays,

Head towards the eastern docks, at the roundabout where the hoverspeed
terminal is, turn off and go towards the hover speed terminal,

Go over the lifting bridge, and at the roundabout where straight on is
through the hover speed terminals gates, go left.. first exit, that takes
you down the street the free parking is on,

From that direction, the car and caravan spaces are the first lot you come
to, on either side of the road, they go on for about 200 or so yards, room
for about 20 outfits i guess, then they become car parking spaces, there's a
road turning on your left when that happens.

it's fairly quiet there, you'll get the odd ships horn as they come into
port, and occasionaly you'll get one of the local sad case boy racers going
past, but we've never had any problems getting off to sleep there, the big
houses on the left are between you and the main road to the docks, so you
don't hear the road noise.

it's perfectly placed for parking up for a kip before catching an early
morning sailing, it really is a 1 minute drive if that to the dock
enterance,

If you've come in from the hover speed roundabout, no need to turn around or
owt, when you leave, drive straight on, and take the first road on your
left, this takes you through the row of houses and back onto the main dock's
road, it's dual caridgeway, so you'll have to go left, but upto the
hoverspeed roundabout, turn around and head back to the docks...

Or when coming in before parking up, go upto the docks, call in at the docks
and get your tickets if you've booked on-line, then go back up the dual
caridgeway, and take the turning on your right about 200 yards before the
roundabout,

be sure to take the one near the roundabout, as there's another turning
nearer the docks, but it's got a 6 foot width restriction on it, it's well
sign posted as so, hence no reason to try and take the wrong road.

That's whgat we've always done anyway, even when early last year we took the
euro drain accross, we went upto dover to park up on the quay side, driving
the 10 minutes back to folkstone to get the train.

We use norfolk line for our ferry crossings now, we have a motorhome, last
year paid 19 each way to take a 7 meter motorhome over, this year the price
has gone up, it's now 29 each way for the times we sail, but it's still
cheaper than a few nights on a camp site in england, and once we're abroad
we use the many free stop over palces on the continent for motorhomes,
coupled with much cheaper diesel and food, we get a much better holiday
abroad, and our money goes so much further.

Anyway, the norfolk line ferry goes into dunkerque, and there's a couple of
aires in the town of dunkerque, it's a 20km drive from the docks, but the
one we use is right on the beach, nice promonade walk, dogs are allowed on
the beach near where the vans park up, and of course it's free to park up
there.

Old January 26th 06, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Rona" wrote in message
Never sailed from Dover before so can anyone tell us if there is dock
parking or similar near the ferry for the night before we sail? Otherwise
cheap site nearby?
Thanks
Rona

Ther's a few cl's near the Whitfield roundabout, ten minutes to the port.
DaveK.