Ford Explorer trailer wiring

Old January 26th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim Taylor

Default Ford Explorer trailer wiring

I am changing the 12N socket on my Ford Explorer. The old one was
fitted by Ford and has wire colours that don't correspond to the
normal UK standard.
I have:
purple/yellow (with a fuse)
brown
black/white
red/yellow
black/green
black/red
grey/red
grey/black

Can any kind soul suggest how to assign these colours to the 1 - 7
pins. (Yes I know I have listed 8 but that's what came out as the
socket came off!)

Thanks for any help
Old January 26th 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:12:45 +0000, Tim Taylor wrote:

I am changing the 12N socket on my Ford Explorer. The old one was
fitted by Ford and has wire colours that don't correspond to the
normal UK standard.
I have:
purple/yellow (with a fuse)
brown
black/white
red/yellow
black/green
black/red
grey/red
grey/black

Can any kind soul suggest how to assign these colours to the 1 - 7
pins. (Yes I know I have listed 8 but that's what came out as the
socket came off!)

Thanks for any help

8 wires means it has a Fog Lamp cut out switch in the socket.
Easiest way is to check it out with a multimeter (you can buy one for
a fiver), with it on volts connect the common (black) to chassis & the
Red to each pin/wire in turn switching on lights, indicators in turn.
It should be fairly obvious what's what you won't get a reading on the
earth wire you can confirm that by checking with the meter on 'ohms'
should read zero (earth wire to chassis) make sure everything is
switch off first.
You will probably have 2 wires live with side lights on, most cars
have left & right circuits its not that important which way you
connect them to the new socket.

If the Fog Lamp switch has been wired in you will have to reconnect
the wire where its been cut or get a socket with a switch. The switch
in the socket will have been wired in series with the Fog Lamps,
should be a case of just joining 2 wires together, once you have
sorted out the side lights & indicators it should be the 2 wires that
are left.

Lenny

Old January 27th 06, 01:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Just wire the old wires to the new connector pin by pin. Take off each wire
from the old connector in sequence and fit to the new connector ( wire on
pin 1 of old connector goes to pin 1 on new connector etc. etc.)./ Make sure
that you get the new connector with fog cut-out switch. To make certain buy
the Haynes Caravan Manual from Halfords or similar.

All the best, Peter.