DIY roof cleaning / sealing

Old January 29th 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

Default DIY roof cleaning / sealing

Got my Crusader Storm this morning. The Sedona handled it easily.
I've now got to learn about all the features it has and how it all works.
Not easy for a newbie.

This caravan has been stored next to a power station in Yorkshire so its
roof is filthy and it as a seal rail at the front roof that needs attention
pretty quickly ( I did know about it in the sale, but took advice on it that
it would be okay providing it was addressed PDQ )

http://tinyurl.com/b7noq

http://tinyurl.com/dnps2

http://tinyurl.com/dre6v

http://tinyurl.com/8mrfj

I have uploaded a few pics and would like to get some advice on the most
sensible way to clean and seal the roof cost effectively :-

1. Anyone come up with any simple methods to 'scaffold' and allow full roof
access ( i.e stepladders won't allow full reach )
2. Recommend any effective cleanser which does the job easily with no
detrimental effect.
3. If I get this van scrubbed clean, would it be worthwhile to wax the thing
to preserve it.
4. If I went to a servicing company in the greater Manchester area ( eg
Glossop Caravans ), what kind of money would be reasonable to pay for a
service/seal/clean ?

Thx

Old January 29th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Remove the seal rail (by undoing the screws). Purchase replacement screws in
stainless steel. thoroughly clean the seal area of all detritus and old
sealant, especially if it is oil-based mastic type. Once clean and any
replacement roof components necessary have been fixed then reseal the area
with a Silicon based sealant (similar to bath sealant).Use either White or
Clear for the best effect. Only use enough to create a good seal and ensure
that the aluminium seal rail is thoroughly clean and straightened before
refitting. make sure that underneath the rail position has silicon around
the screw holes so that water cannot get into the framing via the screws
themselves. The use of silicon means that you will not have to reseal the
rail in the next 25 years!! If you then reseal ALL the seals on the van
using silicon sealant you will end up with a completely dry van which will
not need to be traded in because of rot.

All the best, Peter.

Old January 29th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:18:13 GMT, "ToxOgrady"
wrote:

1. Anyone come up with any simple methods to 'scaffold' and allow full roof
access ( i.e stepladders won't allow full reach )

I have a small ladder that I lean against the side of the van, it
reaches high enough to rest on awning rail.

2. Recommend any effective cleanser which does the job easily with no
detrimental effect.

Fenwicks available from all caravan dealers does the job well, mind
you most car shampoos would do as well.

3. If I get this van scrubbed clean, would it be worthwhile to wax the thing
to preserve it.

yes, it makes it much easier to clean the next time.

4. If I went to a servicing company in the greater Manchester area ( eg
Glossop Caravans ), what kind of money would be reasonable to pay for a
service/seal/clean ?

The last time I queried a company Emm Bee caravans quoted me £40 a
rail for re sealing. Mind you it's not a difficult job just labour
intensive. You need to get the right sealer for the job though
whatever you do don't use the ordinary kind of domestic frame sealant
be it silicone or other. I have used a sealer called carafax IDL that
does the job quite well, it's advantage is that it does not set so
that it is easy to check in later years whether it is still in place.
You need new stainless steel screws to put back into place. To do the
job take off the rail clean off all traces of old sealant and wipe
down with white spirit, then polish the residuesoff with a clean
cloth. Fill the gap with sealant and then put more sealant onto the
rail before you put it back into place. put your screws back into the
holes but before you tighten them down completely put a dab of sealant
under the head of the screw. When you have tightened down all the
screws clean off the sealant that has squeezed out from under the
rail, it's messy but does a good job. I found in the past that it was
worth while checking all the rails each year to make sure that the
sealantwas in good condition, having done a good job in the first
place a simple repair to the seant is easy.

Bill Lord

Old January 30th 06, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

wrote:

[...]

Its easy for you to say you have a small ladder that you can lean against the
'van.

Bet you wouldn't try that on a british 'van.

DieSea