Status Caravan TV Aerials and Freeview Boxes

Old January 30th 06, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Status Caravan TV Aerials and Freeview Boxes

Like many caravanners I have found the caravan manufacturer fitted Status TV
aerial less than satisfactory. Poor signal/ picture quality, very
susceptible to nearby trees etc. I have a 2002 Swift so it is equipped with
fairly recent Status technology.

At Christmas we went away with the van and after setting up everything else
tried the TV with the Status. Result the picture was lousy.

As an experiment I had taken my Freeview box from home. The box is a cheap
Alba model, 25 from the local supermarket. I connected it to the Status
aerial result was great pictures on all locally available channels.
Although the signal level indicator on individual channels was less than 50%
the picture was really good.

Is a Freeview box the easier solution to taking a pole with an amplified
aerial a solution to staying on sites when the Status' results are normally
poor? I know that I will still have to take the pole and aerial to more
isolated parts of the UK.

What are others' thoughts on this?

Apologies if this has been recently discussed on the newsgroup in the past
but I have missed some content over the last couple of months.

Jim

Old January 30th 06, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Jim" wrote in message

Is a Freeview box the easier solution to taking a pole with an amplified
aerial a solution to staying on sites when the Status' results are
normally
poor? I know that I will still have to take the pole and aerial to more
isolated parts of the UK.

What are others' thoughts on this?

As I said the other day, I've had no problems all last year getting
Freeview. Found a normal directional aerial to be better. The Status
recieves from all directions and works OK as you have found in many
locations, the problem I had at a couple of sites was the reception with it
of 2 different TV areas at the same time, so I put the normal aerial up to
select one.

Please reply to News Group

Old January 30th 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:25:34 -0000, "Jim" wrote:

|Like many caravanners I have found the caravan manufacturer fitted Status TV
|aerial less than satisfactory. Poor signal/ picture quality, very
|susceptible to nearby trees etc. I have a 2002 Swift so it is equipped with
|fairly recent Status technology.
|
|At Christmas we went away with the van and after setting up everything else
|tried the TV with the Status. Result the picture was lousy.

You and many others

|As an experiment I had taken my Freeview box from home. The box is a cheap
|Alba model, ?25 from the local supermarket. I connected it to the Status
|aerial result was great pictures on all locally available channels.
|Although the signal level indicator on individual channels was less than 50%
|the picture was really good.
|
|Is a Freeview box the easier solution to taking a pole with an amplified
|aerial a solution to staying on sites when the Status' results are normally
|poor?

You were *very* lucky.

| I know that I will still have to take the pole and aerial to more
|isolated parts of the UK.

No. Freeview signals are *not* available throughout the UK, and are
particularly lacking in the back of beyond where I normally pitch, towns
are often OK.

|What are others' thoughts on this?

What you need for any decent TV in a caravan is a directional aerial,
amplification, and as long a pole as you feel is safe in the weather at the
time. Even with this you will find that freeview is not available in many
country places. You will however almost always have a good analogue signal
until Analogue switch off in 2008-2012.
Check http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe? Digital and
http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tva.exe? Analogue for the best
transmitters.

An alternative is freesatfromsky or freesat. A generic sat dish and box
are OK if you do not need Ch4 or Ch5.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sat Ch4, Ch5, only GBP20
http://www.freesatfromsky.com - "what is freesat?" - "view T&C" -
Old January 30th 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:25:34 -0000, "Jim" wrote:

|Like many caravanners I have found the caravan manufacturer fitted Status TV
|aerial less than satisfactory. Poor signal/ picture quality, very
|susceptible to nearby trees etc. I have a 2002 Swift so it is equipped with
|fairly recent Status technology.
|
|At Christmas we went away with the van and after setting up everything else
|tried the TV with the Status. Result the picture was lousy.

You and many others

|As an experiment I had taken my Freeview box from home. The box is a cheap
|Alba model, ?25 from the local supermarket. I connected it to the Status
|aerial result was great pictures on all locally available channels.
|Although the signal level indicator on individual channels was less than 50%
|the picture was really good.
|
|Is a Freeview box the easier solution to taking a pole with an amplified
|aerial a solution to staying on sites when the Status' results are normally
|poor?

You were *very* lucky.

Old January 30th 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:25:34 -0000, "Jim" wrote:

|Like many caravanners I have found the caravan manufacturer fitted Status TV
|aerial less than satisfactory. Poor signal/ picture quality, very
|susceptible to nearby trees etc. I have a 2002 Swift so it is equipped with
|fairly recent Status technology.
|
|At Christmas we went away with the van and after setting up everything else
|tried the TV with the Status. Result the picture was lousy.

You and many others

|As an experiment I had taken my Freeview box from home. The box is a cheap
|Alba model, ?25 from the local supermarket. I connected it to the Status
|aerial result was great pictures on all locally available channels.
|Although the signal level indicator on individual channels was less than 50%
|the picture was really good.
|
|Is a Freeview box the easier solution to taking a pole with an amplified
|aerial a solution to staying on sites when the Status' results are normally
|poor?

You were *very* lucky.

Old January 30th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:25:34 -0000, "Jim" wrote:

|SNIP | I know that I will still have to take the pole and aerial

to more

An alternative is freesatfromsky or freesat. A generic sat dish and box
are OK if you do not need Ch4 or Ch5.

I get CH4 and Five OK on my generic sat dish but maybe it is that I have a
FTA card. Are they still available? Do I need one now BBC has gone clear?

Must read Dave Sullivan's http://homepage.ntlworld.com/de.sullivan/ for
latest updates.

Jim

Old January 30th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Old January 30th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim