Am I murdering my battery ?

Old February 1st 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

Default Am I murdering my battery ?

Hi all,

'nuther question....

I know my recenty procured van hasn't been used since last Easter. I still
haven't got a clue how to operate 80% of the gadgets inside it, but have a
full Elddis data dossier pack to run through. I'll just keep popping up to
the van every weekend to try things out.

Anyway, tonight I nipped up in the dark and unbolted the leisure battery to
take it home. One of the terminal clamps fell to pieces so it was worth the
check.

Tonights question is : I have got one of these power pack devices (
http://tinyurl.com/8o8lu ) which charges from the mains with a small 200mA
transformer. At this moment, its hooked up to the mains and the jump leads
bit is connected to the leisure battery.
I know the 200mA mains charger will take ages to charge it, but somebody
halt me very quickly if I have done something stupid connecting this stuff
together. The device is branded as a jump starter , not a battery charger,
so I've got this nagging doubt I am smoking the leisure battery or
something.

Hurry up and flame this post if I am harming my battery.

Thx

Old February 2nd 06, 05:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steptoe

"ToxOgrady" wrote in message
Hi all,

Tonights question is : I have got one of these power pack devices (
http://tinyurl.com/8o8lu ) which charges from the mains with a small 200mA
transformer. At this moment, its hooked up to the mains and the jump leads
bit is connected to the leisure battery.
I know the 200mA mains charger will take ages to charge it, but somebody
halt me very quickly if I have done something stupid connecting this stuff
together. The device is branded as a jump starter , not a battery charger,
so I've got this nagging doubt I am smoking the leisure battery or
something.

I can't answer your question because I don't know, but don't flatten your
jump charger gel battery! I did this inadvertantly through the built in
light switch getting pushed in when I tucked it away, dropped the battery
voltage down to about 9v and it wouldn't charge it up again -

Old February 2nd 06, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
trefor

I don't think it's a good idea to do this.

According to the specs. the cranking amps is 400 amps, (at the jump
leads),so if your liesure battery was flat, that means you could be charging
at far more than the battery is designed for. If it was fairly well charged
it might be OK.

The 200ma charger is used to charge the battery inside the power pack. The
jump start power then comes from this battery.

The only way it would be safe to charge your caravan battery from the 200ma
charger would be to disconnect the battery in the power pack. (maybe you did
this?)

Hope this is of some help

Trefor

Old February 2nd 06, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
METWO

Hi ToxOgrady

Not able to see the psu in the link, but its not the Amperage that will kill
the battery, its the voltage, What is the voltage?

What you need is a Constant Voltage PSU, and don't worry about the amps(
well not too much) A battery will only draw the current it needs.

so the problem might be the psu you have it might not be man enough.

What you need is a 13.8 regulated power supply capable of suppling 20/30
Amps

Steve