Can a battery capacity be too big for certain chargers?

Old February 5th 06, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

Default Can a battery capacity be too big for certain chargers?

Hi all,

I'm trying to assess whether the battery in my 98 Crusader is okay and
didn't have a charger ( or means to hook up to mains at my storage site )

Hence I bought this from Argos.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7506978.htm

I know the van wasn't used since March last year and even the clamps were
corroded and needed replacing. Before charging ...my meter picked up 11.6
volts on the battery. A DAY into charging this battery and it now only picks
up 12.2V.
Also......I should have noticed , but arrggg! one of the inner cells might
have been a bit low on fluid. The battery is a Portapower 90A

So :

1) Am I right to assume that 24 hours to get to 12.2V means my battery is
goosed? Even at 11.6V, all the LED indicators came on the charger which
spooked me.
2) A pukka heathy battery should go up to ~13.8V when its full ?
3) The above charger said it was suitable for ALL car , leisure , gel
batteries in the add, BUT in the manual it says "The largest capacity lead
acid battery that should be charged is 70Ah"

I know all these chargers are rated to 'Ah' and this one is sopposed to be
11Ah, buy why would the manual need to declare a MAX battery size. I just
thought it would take longer.

So currently I have a battery which I think is goosed and a charger which
might not be suitable. If I can quickly get some advice here I believe I
have reasonable grounds to return to charger.

Old February 5th 06, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 14:51:24 GMT, "ToxOgrady"
wrote:

[...]

It quite probably is, but make sure that all the cells are filled up,
and leave on charge for another 24 hours, if it still will only reach
12.2 volts ( after having been unplugged from the charger for a couple
of hours then the battery is well on the way out. A new leisure
battery will cost you between £30 and £50 depending on what you get.
If you are likely to be going caravanning on sites which do not have
electric hook up then most caravan dealers do a 120 amp ( or similar
figure ) battery that usually comes in at just less than £50 if you
are going on sites which have hook up then a smaller capacity battery
is more than adequate and these are usually about £29

Bill Lord

Old February 5th 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

wrote:

[...]

As bill says its probably OK although the charger is rated at 11 amps
it will only supply max current when the battery is flat. As the
battery charges the voltage rises as does the internal resistance
therefore the charge current reduces. A leisure battery will take
about 3 days to fully charge from flat.

Lenny
www.motoressentials.co.uk
Diesel Power Cetane Booster for a smoother quieter engine.