Drop Plate

Old February 6th 06, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dgethin

Default Drop Plate

I have got a Suzuki Grand Vitara 3 Door 2.0TD Aug 2005. Do I need to use a
drop plate to stop the tow ball from obscuring the number plate. I might
have to use one because the vans A Frame is quite low.

Has anyone put a towbar on a Vitara before.

Many Thanks

Old February 6th 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Dgethin" wrote in message
I have got a Suzuki Grand Vitara 3 Door 2.0TD Aug 2005. Do I need to use a
drop plate to stop the tow ball from obscuring the number plate. I might
have to use one because the vans A Frame is quite low.

Drop plates are considered bad practice. Better to install a distance block
under the tow hitch of the trailer.
Many 4wd suv's have high towballs to maintain the off-road clearance. If you
don't intend to off-road, maybe fit a tow bracket with lower ball height
(about 14").
DaveK.

Old February 6th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Dgethin" wrote in message
I have got a Suzuki Grand Vitara 3 Door 2.0TD Aug 2005. Do I need to use a
drop plate to stop the tow ball from obscuring the number plate. I might
have to use one because the vans A Frame is quite low.

Has anyone put a towbar on a Vitara before.

Many Thanks

As a post 1998 car you cannot use a drop plate. You may have to reposition
the number plate if it is obscured too much.

Cheers

Old February 6th 06, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

[email protected] home wrote:

As a post 1998 car you cannot use a drop plate.

Too sweeping a statement - it rather depends on the conditions for which
the towbar etc. was certificated. In practice, though, most 'car-based'
ones do not have any allowance for a drop plate.

Here's one (not this Suzuki) that does have an allowance:
http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/Fitt...ctions/R29.pdf