Cruise control and towing.

Old July 4th 03, 06:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
chrisnew

Default Cruise control and towing.

"Ian McFarlane" wrote in message

"Philip Davies" wrote in message
With the advent of even more crafty ways of checking ones speed(see do

you
SPEED) I am seriously thinking of having installed cruise crontrol on my
Nissan Terrano disel.
However can people tell me can this work when towing caravan if you set

your
speed to 60.
Is it feasable to fit cruise control to a disel

I currently run a Toyota Previa diesel which comes with cruise control.
Previous car was a Chrysler Voyager diesel, also with cruise control.

Before
that I had a 2.0 litre petrol Voyager to which I fitted cruise control and
before that I had a phase 2 Renault Espace, petrol, which I also fitted
cruise control to. I have towed with all of them

IMO cruise control is one of those things that seems a luxury until you

have
used it and then you wonder how you managed without it. On long motorway

run
at a steady speed, not having your right leg permanently fixed in one
position is wonderful.

The ones I fitted myself were bought from Easycruise in Kidderminster,

they
advertise in the motoring mags and I found them very helpful. I suggest

you
contact them to find out whether there is one suitable for your Nissan.

When
I was getting rid of the last Voyager due to gearbox problems I considered
an Espace but they don't come with cruise control, nor was it an option.
When I rang Easycruise they said there was not one available for the

diesel
Espace so it is not certain you can fit one to every car. The fact that

the
Previa came with it as standard on the mid range model influenced my

choice
of car.

It will tow quite happily on the French autoroutes at 60 - 65 mph with the
cruise control set and as others have said it will only disengage when it
cannot keep going up hill at the set speed without a gear change. It will
disengage once the speed has dropped by 5 - 7 mph. On less steep hills it
just keeps going at a constant speed.

It is a good way of keeping check of your speed but generates some
interesting situation. It is surprising how many times I am cruising along
the motorway at a steady speed set at around the speed limit and someone
comes up behind, overtakes and then starts to slow down again. After a

while
because I am catching them up I will overtake them, which obviously wakes
them up and soon the process repeats. During this my speed does not change
at all as I am using my cruise control. If this happens a few times I will
eventually pass, accelerate to open up a good gap and then drop back to

the
previous set speed. They do not usually catch up again. It is as though

once
the gap between them and you gets to a certain size they subconsciously
accelerate to overtake but having done so won't maintain their speed.

Ian

Ian
This is an interesting phenomenon, which I have also observed towing with my
Saab 9000. I assumed that others without cruise simply lost concentration
after passing so that their speed gradually falls until you have to overtake
again - which is annoying.
I've had 3 Saabs with cruise, but none of them has dropped out on inclines

Chris