Newbie Questions

Old February 12th 06, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick

Default Newbie Questions

Hi,

I'm now the proud owner of an '87 Avondale Perle (It's all I could
afford and a good test to see if we like caravanning!), I have
some questions, forgive me if they sound dumb.

1. The caravan has a Carver Cascade water heater. I think this is gas
only, and seems to work okay when I tested it (briefly). Does it supply
constant hot water, or only what is in its tank, thereby needing time to
re-heat again once the first lot (9 litres I think) runs out?

2. The van is fitted with a Zig CP3G control panel. Does anyone know
where I can download a manual for this?

3. The caravan lights only seem to run from the caravan battery, not
the 240V hookup. Is this normal, does the Zig charge the battery or convert
the voltage down? If I switch off the caravan battery all the light go out.
The 240V hookup only seems to run the 240V sockets as far as I can tell.

4. What does the Zig Aux on/off switch do?

5. When using a hookup at a site, do you pay a one off fee, or for the
amount
of electric used?

6. Can anyone recommend a UK site with a swimming pool (Indoor or outdoor)
for
the kids to enjoy.

Thanks for looking, and thanks to all those people who have answered my
previous
questions!

Nick

Old February 12th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Nick" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm now the proud owner of an '87 Avondale Perle (It's all I could
afford and a good test to see if we like caravanning!), I have
some questions, forgive me if they sound dumb.

1. The caravan has a Carver Cascade water heater. I think this is gas
only, and seems to work okay when I tested it (briefly). Does it supply
constant hot water, or only what is in its tank, thereby needing time to
re-heat again once the first lot (9 litres I think) runs out?

Think because of its age it could well be gas only, you get a tank full of
hot water, then it warms up again. Becarefull when showering to run some
cold as well so you do not get burnt.

Your 12v lights should work when on electric hook up. Think you should find
a switch on the control unit to opperate between when towing and on site.
Useually if the site pitch has electric it is in the nightly fee, ie you pay
even if not used.

Please reply to News Group

Old February 12th 06, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:05:01 GMT, "Nick" wrote:

Hi,

I'm now the proud owner of an '87 Avondale Perle (It's all I could
afford and a good test to see if we like caravanning!), I have
some questions, forgive me if they sound dumb.

1. The caravan has a Carver Cascade water heater. I think this is gas
only, and seems to work okay when I tested it (briefly). Does it supply
constant hot water, or only what is in its tank, thereby needing time to
re-heat again once the first lot (9 litres I think) runs out?

Early casacdes were gas only, it provides only what water there is in
the tank and then needs to rehaet the water that takes it's place, but
when it comes out of the tap it is very hot and needs mixing with cold
for you to use it. If your van has a shower and you want to use that
then the routine is run the shower whilst holding it away from you to
set the temperature you require, wet yourself all over turn the shower
off, wash yourself, and then turn the shower back on to rinse yourself
agin being careful not to scald yourself or to freeze yourself.

2. The van is fitted with a Zig CP3G control panel. Does anyone know
where I can download a manual for this?

Pass

3. The caravan lights only seem to run from the caravan battery, not
the 240V hookup. Is this normal, does the Zig charge the battery or convert
the voltage down? If I switch off the caravan battery all the light go out.
The 240V hookup only seems to run the 240V sockets as far as I can tell.

It depends upon how the electrics were fitted, quite a lot of early
electrical installations only provided power to the mains, the zig
unit just provides power to the battery to charge it. Later they
became more sophisticated and would work without a battery in the
circuit, although the supply is generall smoother if you do have a
battery in the circuit.

4. What does the Zig Aux on/off switch do?

Pass

5. When using a hookup at a site, do you pay a one off fee, or for the
amount
of electric used?

You will either come across sites where the charge per day includes
electrics, or where the site has pitches that do not have access to
electrics an alternative charge to use one of these pitches.
Difference is usually about £2.25 a day. I've never come across a site
that charges by the meter reading.

6. Can anyone recommend a UK site with a swimming pool (Indoor or outdoor)
for
the kids to enjoy.

Lotsof nice sites but personally I have no experience of sites with
swimming pools. As a general piece of advice it is worthwhile joining
either the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravanning Club and trying
their sites. My personal preference is for the CC I simply find their
sites to be much more user friendly for caravans, though to be honest
the CCC have to lay their sites out for either caravans or campers and
this gives a different set of priorities.

Bill Lord

Old February 13th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Thomson

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Nick The Ranch Caravan Club Park near Ayr Scotland has a great swimming
pool on site You can find some photo,s of the park at the following websites

http://www.caravantouring.co.uk

http://www.theranchscotland.co.uk

Alex.