Audi Avant A4 Electrics

Old February 14th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peugeot 406

Default Audi Avant A4 Electrics

We have just purchased a new Audi as above with factory fitted tow bar and
13 pin socket.
Unfortunately the car has come with the socket wired for road lights and pin
9 wired as a switched live with no pins in 10,11 &12.

The standard says the pin 10 should be switched for the fridge and pin 11
should be the earth for pin 10.

Below is the response from Audi customer service regarding the problem. My
question to them was that I only needed the wire that is currently on pin 9
transferring to pin 10 and an earth putting on pin 11 to enable the fridge
to operate whilst towing. I am not bothered about a permanent live to pin 9
as I don't need to charge the battery whilst towing. What I find strange is
that the kit to wire socket correctly is quoted at 205 by Audi yet they say
it is not approved by Audi UK, so why sell the kit.
Also this requirementy of an extra kit is not mentioned in any brochures or
in fact by the Salesman.

Has anyone else had problems with Audi with reference to tow bar electrics?
'An upgrade on the towing electrics is available and can be fitted by any
approved centre or electrician. However Audi UK does not approve this, and
your insurance company may need to be informed as the security of the
vehicle may become compromised.

Once the modification has been carried out there also may be concerns
regarding the functionality of the electric system on the vehicle'.

Old February 14th 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

First obtain/purchase the Haynes Caravan Manual, then look inside at the
section for matching to car electrics. This will give you the definitive
connection diagram and explain about the pin 11 modification.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

Old February 16th 06, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

I would be tempted to give Audi UK some more pressure!

Audi's don't seem to be getting a very good press at the moment

Haven't they had problems with the Instrument panel giving problems on one of
their models

And wouldn't / couldn't do any thing until Watchdog started giving them weeks of
bad publicity

Then ( Audi ) they suddenly changed tack

DieSea

Old February 16th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

[...]

Sorry I can't add anything about your A4 but my when I got my towbar factory
(well dealer in the end) fitted to my Renault I had to specify the extra
wiring or it came just as yours did. I know that the Audi in Germany comes
with all the pins wired so why not UK, sounds like it has gone into the too
hard department.

The problem with moving the live from 9 to 10 is it probally won't be thick
enough to run a fridge and not switched so a trip to Maccy Ds on route could
leave you with a struggling battery.

I have a Ulysse now and ordered the wrong wiring kit (like yours) the
exchanged it, the new kit was almost identical except it now used a plug
already hanging in the boot to give 9 and 10 power.....dead easy.