Batteries

Old February 16th 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bertrum flack

Default Batteries

We need a new Battery, we used to use a cheap car battery but its given up
on us

With a leisure bat one is 85 amp for 50 and the other is 110 for 74

Is there much difference for the extra 20 please.

regards John

Old February 16th 06, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bertrum flack

"bertrum flack" wrote in message
. ..
We need a new Battery, we used to use a cheap car battery but its given up
on us

With a leisure bat one is 85 amp for 50 and the other is 110 for 74

Is there much difference for the extra 20 please.

regards John

Sorry I thought I had started a new dic on this my appologies

Old February 16th 06, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

FWIW I just bought new battery last week and it pays to shop around. I got a
110A for 48 quid at Dickenson Caravans in Bradford. A place nr Batley (
Gateway Caravans ) wanted 66 quid

Old February 16th 06, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills\(aka Hitch Lock\)

bertrum flack wrote:

We need a new Battery, we used to use a cheap car battery but its
given up on us

With a leisure bat one is 85 amp for 50 and the other is 110 for 74

Is there much difference for the extra 20 please.

regards John

It depends on your planned usage. If you buy the bigger battery, you are
paying nearly 50% extra for less than 30% extra capacity - and it will also
be a fair bit heavier. Incidentally, the numbers refer to amp-hours (a
measure of how much electrical energy they store) rather than amps (the peak
current they can deliver).

If you plan to do a lot of caranning on sites with no mains hookup, or if
you have a built-in caravan mover and frequently need to power your van up
your mile-long drive with a 1 in 3 slope, the bigger battery would be
better. Otherwise, the smaller one is adequate.
--
Cheers,
Roger