Adria 485B (and may be of interest to newbies looking for a used van.)

Old February 17th 06, 06:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Default Adria 485B (and may be of interest to newbies looking for a used van.)

Hi finally found a van that was not damp it has took me 4 months and
hundreds of miles and loads of batteries in my damp meter. Problem was I
knew what I wanted ( an Adria 485B or a Challenger 490SE) and I had a budget
to stick to a lowly 1500 (I considered it a challenge) I knew it would be
hard but I did it found a 1992 Adria 485B up for 2000 but no hot water so I
knocked him down to 1500 and did the deal. So now I need to fit a water
heater. Damp free ( after a good check with meter). A pal of mine has the
same model and I fell in love with the van ages ago. However now I own one
and have had time to get to know it I can honestly say its the best built
caravan I have ever owned. I have owned 3 and have been caravanning for 15
years. The build quality is amazingly high and I have never seen so much
sealer used on joints in my life. I have ordered a new cover to keep it snug
(like I have always done with my vans).
over the last few months I have seen the most amazing amount of crap on
the market and have come to the conclusion that 90% of caravans over 5 years
old are damp. And what's amazing is that some owners genuinely do not know.
I cannot believe how people treat vans and there lack of knowledge about
construction methods and how to maintain them. They buy them ignore them and
stick them on a drive expecting them to remain dry and problem free.
Without servicing them or maintaining them. Would they do that with a car ?
Take a tip from me stand out on the drive in a downpour and look at where
the water flows and drips on your van and then protect those areas if
possible an example water can be water channeled off a back window corners
and fall onto a back light fitting causing damp behind the fitting ( you get
the idea). Check around all widows, roof lights carners of the van, along
awning rails grab hadles trim can cause problems, fridge vents. In fact
anything that is screwed to the van can be an area for concern I cannot
stress enought the importance of damp. Few things can be more costly to
repair in a van.
So to all you people looking for a van now the new season is approaching
fast espcialy newbies BEWARE take your time, take a damp meter, and if you
can take an experienced vanner with you. the seconhand market is full of
rotten damp vans that have not been maintained. However there are some
crackers out there that will give you good service for many years to come
for a good price. However your proportion of dry vans should increase the
higher the budget you have. However there are stories ( wait for the
replies) of new vans damp after 12 months. Have fun y'all
--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old February 17th 06, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Tinkapace" wrote in message
k...

snip

I cannot believe how people treat vans and there lack of knowledge about
construction methods and how to maintain them. They buy them ignore them
and stick them on a drive expecting them to remain dry and problem free.
Without servicing them or maintaining them.

An astute observation! People complain about the build quality without
considering the demands owners put on them and expect them to be maintenance
free.

Would they do that with a car ?

A car is God to most folk.

Take a tip from me stand out on the drive in a downpour and look at where
the water flows and drips on your van and then protect those areas if
possible an example water can be water channeled off a back window corners
and fall onto a back light fitting causing damp behind the fitting ( you
get the idea). Check around all widows, roof lights carners of the van,
along awning rails grab hadles trim can cause problems, fridge vents. In
fact anything that is screwed to the van can be an area for concern I
cannot stress enought the importance of damp. Few things can be more
costly to repair in a van.

And can largely be avoided.

By the way, I wonder how many houses would stand up to damp meters?
Especially those which aren't used every day.

However there are stories ( wait for the replies) of new vans damp after
12 months.

Oh indeed! Then there's the British vs German cohort :-)

I'm pleased you found something which matches your expectations.

We did the opposite - bought something very cheap which we knew was damp
then rebuilt it, completely, ourselves. Then we knew that it was 100%
perfect and we've kept it so - it was exciting to rebuild and easy to
maintain. We were given one in a worse condition, with damp rot and dry rot,
that was even more exciting. It's kept under a tarp in wet Wales and is dry
as a bone, sweet smelling and comfortable.

The one in our garden doesn't have a cover on at the moment because it was
used last weekend by visiting grandchildren and hasn't been 'restored' yet
but a cover is an excellent idea. There are some good deals on covers if you
don't need a made to measure one.

Thanks for a thoughtful and stimulating post.

Mary

Old February 18th 06, 05:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

I would love to do it Mary I kept an old Musky on the road for years and it
felt like I had rebuilt it after all the work I did on it. Sadly I had to
let it go as I was spendimg more time repairing it than using it. The last
van I owned b4 the Adria also had a small patch of damp on purchase which I
repaired I would also love to design one from scratch if cash was no
object.

Old February 18th 06, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Tinkapace" wrote in message
I would love to do it Mary I kept an old Musky on the road for years and it
felt like I had rebuilt it after all the work I did on it.

Ah but we gutted ours right to the aluminium skin, we didn't do running
repairs. The lot went out, some went back in.

For the small (10') one I re-designed it and thought I'd made a
breakthrough, changed the caravan world. Then I saw the little modern
caravan - can't remember its name, and found it had an identical layout! It
does work too.

Sadly I had to let it go as I was spendimg more time repairing it than
using it. The last van I owned b4 the Adria also had a small patch of damp
on purchase which I repaired I would also love to design one from scratch
if cash was no object.

So would we but we have too little time left even to do the normal house and
garden maintenance!

We have a 'covered wagon' which we were intending to refurbish, it's up for
grabs. Free to the person who'll tow it from Leeds.

Mary