Caravan specs.

Old February 18th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Default Caravan specs.

At a caravan show a salesman once muttered that caravans last too long.
Manufacturers obviously feel the same way.
There was an article in the CC magazine about a caravan factory. First photo
was of the main yard with a stack of timber frames lying out in the weather,
so the caravan starts life with damp softwood sealed in between aluminium
sheet and vinyl coated ply.
British Standards on caravans are issued on the specs provided by the NCC.
How independent is that?
Here's my ideas for you to have a go at.
British Standards to give type approval after consultation with customers,
clubs and other interested parties- not just the manufacturers.
Design: Low centre of gravity, lightweight strong chassis,
Weatherproof-marine standard sealants to be used. Monocoque injection
mouldings where possible. Less windows - too many damp failure points. No
roof vent to be above any fixed bed. No more than three roof vents and none
bigger than sixteen inches. Doorway to be at least twenty inches wide, not
the oddly narrow seventeen-we take a camping coolbox which won't fit through
the doorway and it has to sit on the back seat of the car). Maximum internal
headroom to be six feet. Maximum overall height to be eight feet three
inches (plus tv aerial). Ground clearance to be minimal, but practical - to
enable lower floor height. (Never used to have the need for a double step).
Shock absorbers as standard. Removable front locker panel- not awkwardly
hinged at top, bottom or cantilevered- specially designed to induce back
pain but so common nowadays. Lamp in locker.
No untreated softwood frames to be used.(Preferably not use timber as
framing).
Side repeater indicators as standard. If rear window fitted, it should
provide a view through. Floor to be fit for the purpose, (marine ply or
modern load bearing material) not thin plywood and foam sandwich.
Fiamma security bar/grab handle at doorway. Underfloor freezer compartment
(similar to the Avondale spare wheel hatch).
Roof lockers to be specified width-not narrow to give the impression of wide
internal body, but impractical for storage.
Chassis to be cross braced at each end.
Means of applying trailer brakes in addition to over-run system, either
electrically or manually by driver.
Water taps and fittings to be standard household type. Sink waste outlets to
be vertical, no convoluted pipe runs. Waste pipes to be rigid or semi rigid
smooth, or brewery hose- not the corrugated ribbed dirt traps used
throughout the industry.
DaveK.

Old February 18th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Saunders

.......and the one thing that irritates me beyond anything else with
(most)British caravan manufacturers is the bonding of the (very thin)
aluminium straight onto the styroform core, so it dents if you accidentally
sneeze on it. Continental manufacturers fully laminate theirs. We pick up a
new Coachman soon which is made this way. It explains why the sides are
flatter than most others except some of the Abbey's which have grp sides.
I agree though that there is still so many aspects where British vans are
still in the dark ages

Old February 18th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
......and the one thing that irritates me beyond anything else with
(most)British caravan manufacturers is the bonding of the (very thin)
aluminium straight onto the styroform core, so it dents if you
accidentally sneeze on it.

Don't be daft. Such exaggeration discredits anything else you say.

Mary

Old February 18th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
......and the one thing that irritates me beyond anything else with
(most)British caravan manufacturers is the bonding of the (very thin)
aluminium straight onto the styroform core, so it dents if you
accidentally sneeze on it.

Such exaggeration discredits anything else you say.

Not correct. It's actually a good example of hyperbole.
DaveK.