French toll booths

Old February 20th 06, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry

Default French toll booths

I have heard when using french toll roads that the is a symbol above some
booths that means they are for passholders only???

I am just about to go off the drive south through France.....which toll
booths should I go to and which ones should I keep away from .

Car only not towing on this trip

Thanks

Barry

Old February 20th 06, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr X

In article , Barry
writes

I have heard when using french toll roads that the is a symbol above some
booths that means they are for passholders only???

Yes

I am just about to go off the drive south through France.....which toll
booths should I go to and which ones should I keep away from .

It will be obvious when you see it.
--
Mr X

Old February 20th 06, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Barry
writes

I have heard when using french toll roads that the is a symbol above some
booths that means they are for passholders only???

Yes

I am just about to go off the drive south through France.....which toll
booths should I go to and which ones should I keep away from .

It will be obvious when you see it.
--
Mr X

Thanks Mr X

Your confidence in me is inspiring..........but coulld you explain why it
will be obvious.
its the symbol Im after

Barry

Old February 20th 06, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Barry
writes

Old February 20th 06, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Barry
writes

Old February 20th 06, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Your confidence in me is inspiring..........but coulld you explain why it
will be obvious.
its the symbol Im after

Here's some proper advice.
You see advance warning signs for the toll booths, 'Peage' at 1500 and 1000
metres.
You approach a very wide area with several booths and barriers. Slow down
enough to decide which booth you need, don't be rushed by following drivers
(but there's hardly any traffic compared to this maelstrom).
Best to head for a manned booth, indicated by a peaked cap figure with
oustretched hand (similar to the wife).
Others are signed for Trucks Only (very tall window), Electronic Fastpass
cards, and Cars Only, which have quite low heavy plastic curtains hanging
down to destroy the caravan roof of the unwary.
High up on the overhead gantry above the booths there are red or green
lamps. Use the green channels.
As you stop at the barrier, check the display panel at driver's level
(passenger in your case) below the toll booth window.
The operator checks the type of vehicle and the class and toll fee is
displayed. Solo car is Class 1. Pay by cash or credit card. Card is quick,
you don't need to sign or pin, you get a receipt and there's no means of the
operator fidlling it.
The traffic light at the barrier will change to green and barrier will be
raised.
Give 'em a Bonjour and Au Revoir, and away you go.
Best to use National Routes where you can, autoroute tolls have risen worse
than fuel prices, up to10p a mile solo and 15p with caravan.
Have a nice trip and Bon Voyage.
DaveK.