Doggy friendly Caravanners

Old February 20th 06, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BrianG

Default Doggy friendly Caravanners

I'm a total newbie where dogs are concerned. Terrified at them until
about 40 years old and now at 60 have grown to love my friend's Toy
Poodle (she has had him for 4 weeks)

What I would like to know is the following:-

I have seen dogs on a long lead connected to a spring type of attachment
screwed into the ground on sites. Can you tell me where I can buy, or
what to use for keeping the dog secure when we are on-site, but able to
run around a little (within our individual area)whilst secured.

Thanks Brian
Old February 20th 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
sue

I'm a total newbie where dogs are concerned. Terrified at them until about
40 years old and now at 60 have grown to love my friend's Toy Poodle (she
has had him for 4 weeks)

What I would like to know is the following:-

I have seen dogs on a long lead connected to a spring type of attachment
screwed into the ground on sites. Can you tell me where I can buy, or what
to use for keeping the dog secure when we are on-site, but able to run
around a little (within our individual area)whilst secured.

Thanks Brian

Hi Brian

We use a large dog tie screw stay like the one listed on the bottom of this
page on towsures site:
http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=429
This controls our two westies when we are pitched, they are available to buy
at most camping shops and should do the job. Depending on the size of dog
we've also used a wire peg bent over and hammered completely into the ground
when we've been on a pitch where it's been too hard to screw into the
ground.
I also bought a double ended clipped long dog lead from our local pound shop
to enable quick clipping and unclipping.
Hope this helps
Sue

Old February 20th 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

The lead should be 3 metres maximum length if on a CC site. This has been
proved to cause little nuisance to other caravanners and very little problem
for the dog(s).

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

Old February 21st 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy Vines

"BrianG" wrote in message
I'm a total newbie where dogs are concerned. Terrified at them until about
40 years old and now at 60 have grown to love my friend's Toy Poodle (she
has had him for 4 weeks)

What I would like to know is the following:-

I have seen dogs on a long lead connected to a spring type of attachment
screwed into the ground on sites. Can you tell me where I can buy, or what
to use for keeping the dog secure when we are on-site, but able to run
around a little (within our individual area)whilst secured.

Thanks Brian

As the others have already said, plus below is what we have found from our
own experience.

The screw in ones can be a problem in hard ground, we have also got one of
the hammer in ones, which we got from a Pets At Home store.

Have a couple of different length leads for pegging out on, as sometimes 3m
is too long, depending on the pitch layout etc.

We have two dogs that we peg out on the one stake, we find the hammer in one
is best as it goes flush with the ground so less tangles, can usually pull
it out ok with the tent peg puller, or if it's stuck poor some water round
it first to soften the ground.

Dogs and camping = fun and sometimes games :-)