Tow car dilemma

Old February 20th 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
steve

Default Tow car dilemma

Thoughts please :
I presently own a K reg Citroen ZX 1.9D (for daily run of 80 miles to work
and back) and an R reg 2.0GLS Omega (for towing 1330Kg caravan) and would
like to reduce my combined running costs.
The ZX is getting to the end of its life and the Omega, I suspect, would not
be a cheap runner for my daily slog.
In peoples experience is it cheaper to run two cars (replacing the ZX) or
would I be better off looking for 1 new\newer car ?
Thanks in advance
Steve

Old February 20th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:55:44 -0000, "steve"
wrote:

Thoughts please :
I presently own a K reg Citroen ZX 1.9D (for daily run of 80 miles to work
and back) and an R reg 2.0GLS Omega (for towing 1330Kg caravan) and would
like to reduce my combined running costs.
The ZX is getting to the end of its life and the Omega, I suspect, would not
be a cheap runner for my daily slog.
In peoples experience is it cheaper to run two cars (replacing the ZX) or
would I be better off looking for 1 new\newer car ?
Thanks in advance
Steve

It depends very much on the individual circumstances. We run a Volvo
850 SE 2 litre 20 valve as a tow car and a Toyota Corolla 1.3 neither
of which do a great deal of miles in a year both of which are 12 years
old. Consequently my calculation is that I could save about £350 a
year by getting rid of the Corolla, and to be honest I prefer the
convenience and the lack of wear and tear on each car of having two.
If you were to replace both cars you would have to buy a car would tow
the caravan and that would be economical to drive on a daily basis,
something which is not easy to find. My son has a Skoda Octavia Estate
TDi that returns nearly 60 mpg on his daily comute of 25 miles each
way but that has Skodas towing limit of 1300 kg to contend with,
though in strictly legal terms it is of sufficient weight to give you
an almost perfect 85% ratio. Something of this nature may save you
money, it's just a question of deciding how much the Omega costs you
each year and then working out how much of it you would save by buying
another large car, and also bearing in mind that a smaller car would
be much cheaper to buy in the first place.

Bill Lord

Old February 20th 06, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin McGowan

steve wrote:
Thoughts please :
I presently own a K reg Citroen ZX 1.9D (for daily run of 80 miles to work
and back) and an R reg 2.0GLS Omega (for towing 1330Kg caravan) and would
like to reduce my combined running costs.
The ZX is getting to the end of its life and the Omega, I suspect, would not
be a cheap runner for my daily slog.
In peoples experience is it cheaper to run two cars (replacing the ZX) or
would I be better off looking for 1 new\newer car ?
Thanks in advance
Steve

you'll have to do a cost benefit analysis,
on the cost side include, depreciation, road fund licence, insurance
,leave the fuel out of it for the moment. then on the other side the
cost differential for fuel for the larger vehicle compared to the
smaller.with 160 mile round trip, if car does
50mpg cost at 90.9p per litre is 13.25
40mpg cost.......................16.50
30mpg cost.......................22.00 so between little and large car
is 6.75 annual difference 5 days per week over 48 weeks is 1620.00
tax and insurance will be about 500.00, depreciation well depend on the
cost of the cars. it's nearly midnight and I'm getting tired so if maths
was wrong, sorry. LOL
Martin McGowan

Old February 21st 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ToxOgrady

I'd offload both an pick up a 3-4 year old high mileage 2.0 / 2.2ltr HDI C5
estate. Cheap tax & mid-late 40's mpg.
The C5 estate weighs ~1450kilos and has a 1500kilo legal tow limit. For a
1330kilo caravan its on the limit for either an Omega or a C5 estate