Manic crossposting!

Old August 27th 03, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GazTheMadNurse

Default Manic crossposting!

OK, guys, I've had enough! I got back today after a week in Scotland (first
time out with the 'van) to find this NG overrun with crossposts, to the
point where it's almost unusable as a caravanning forum and resource.
Finding caravanning posts among the moronic rubbish is too much of a chore.
I'm unsubscribing. Goodbye, folks.
Gaz

"Dangerous? Whaddaya mean, dangero...AARGH?"

Old August 27th 03, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:38:41 +0100, "GazTheMadNurse"
wrote:

Learn to use the killfile facility on your newsreader, this reduces the
problem to a minor irritation. See Sig.

If you are using Windoze, nfilter/News Proxy gets rid of crossposts if you
object to them.

Dave Fawthrop Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs
at http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

Except that the recent troll(s?) hiding in this newsgroup have been posting
using a number of different addresses. Once one has been killed, one still
has to kill all the other variants.

Old August 27th 03, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:40:32 +0100, "Leyland_Leopard"
wrote:

| "Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
| On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:38:41 +0100, "GazTheMadNurse"
| wrote:
|

| Learn to use the killfile facility on your newsreader, this reduces the
| problem to a minor irritation. See Sig.
|
| If you are using Windoze, nfilter/News Proxy gets rid of crossposts if you
| object to them.

| Except that the recent troll(s?) hiding in this newsgroup have been posting
| using a number of different addresses. Once one has been killed, one still
| has to kill all the other variants.

One has several options, besides killfiling *posters*, such as killing
threads, and crossposts. Several combinations of these work well.

Dave F

Old August 27th 03, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ray

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
Once one has been killed, one still
has to kill all the other variants.

I'm sorry but I fail to see the problem, no need to kill anyone.
Hows about simply not reading them?
Of course, if it's too much trouble to scroll past the obvious garbage !!!!!
Ray.

Old August 27th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

I'm sorry but I fail to see the problem, no need to kill anyone.
Hows about simply not reading them?
Of course, if it's too much trouble to scroll past the obvious garbage

!!!!!
Ray.

Yes, its very simple. But it remains very annoying to some, if not all,
that there is so much junk to wade through to get to anything relevant.

However, having investigated the filters, views and rules on Outlook
Express, I have now set it such that any strands I mark as "Ignore" now do
not show up. No need to killfile, as soon as a strand comes up (troll or
not!) that I don't want to follow, ignore it, and it goes away! Wonderful!

Old August 28th 03, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phillipines Kyle

Ray spewed Manic crossposting! onto my shoes:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
et...
But complaining to an account provider works best of all,

Nice one Harry.
Ray.

Yeah, thanks Harry.

--

Phil K.

http://www.geocities.com/philkyle2003/
Old August 28th 03, 05:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
do me do me dooooo

In message Phillipines Kyle
wrote:

Ray spewed Manic crossposting! onto my shoes:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. net...
But complaining to an account provider works best of all,

Nice one Harry.
Ray.

Yeah, thanks Harry.

Harry's quite teh dish.
Old August 28th 03, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"GazTheMadNurse" wrote in message
OK, guys, I've had enough! I got back today after a week in Scotland

(first
time out with the 'van) to find this NG overrun with crossposts, to the
point where it's almost unusable as a caravanning forum and resource.
Finding caravanning posts among the moronic rubbish is too much of a

chore.
I'm unsubscribing. Goodbye, folks.
Gaz

"Dangerous? Whaddaya mean, dangero...AARGH?"

When one wants to report a troll or cross poster how does one go about it

then looking into the properties of the post there is no ISP shown to report
abuse. If I was aware of how to do this I would take action. the only think
left is report it to ones own ISP (Internet service provider). If its
children who are responsible or young adults living at home get the ISP to
talk to their parents with a view to disconnection if it continues. Also if
they do any damage to you by using your address ect. This will then be a job
for the police whether the police like it of not.
So if someone can show or tellus how to go about then I for one will do what
I can.
Mike

Old August 28th 03, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
| then looking into the properties of the post there is no ISP shown to report
| abuse. If I was aware of how to do this I would take action. the only think
| left is report it to ones own ISP (Internet service provider). If its
| children who are responsible or young adults living at home get the ISP to
| talk to their parents with a view to disconnection if it continues. Also if
| they do any damage to you by using your address ect. This will then be a job
| for the police whether the police like it of not.
| So if someone can show or tellus how to go about then I for one will do what
| I can.

Hi Mike,

There will be some way to configure your reader to display the headers
contained within each posting. Each will display the route the posting
took to get to you and from this you should be able to back track to
the source it was posted from.

For instance, from your header I know you are using Outlook Express V6
and posted via Blueyonder (Telewest).

I do not know how (or even if) OE6 supports the showing of headers, but
Gravity does simply by pressing Alt Gr + H.

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old August 28th 03, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:01:40 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

| In article ,
| says...
| | then looking into the properties of the post there is no ISP shown to report
| | abuse. If I was aware of how to do this I would take action. the only think
| | left is report it to ones own ISP (Internet service provider). If its
| | children who are responsible or young adults living at home get the ISP to
| | talk to their parents with a view to disconnection if it continues. Also if
| | they do any damage to you by using your address ect. This will then be a job
| | for the police whether the police like it of not.
| | So if someone can show or tellus how to go about then I for one will do what
| | I can.
|
| Hi Mike,
|
| There will be some way to configure your reader to display the headers
| contained within each posting. Each will display the route the posting
| took to get to you and from this you should be able to back track to
| the source it was posted from.
|
| For instance, from your header I know you are using Outlook Express V6
| and posted via Blueyonder (Telewest).
|
| I do not know how (or even if) OE6 supports the showing of headers, but
| Gravity does simply by pressing Alt Gr + H.

True. But.

Reading headers is a Black Art which I have studied but never learnt.
This is the most imporant line.

Dave F