Awnings

Old February 25th 06, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick

Default Awnings

Hi,

My Avondale Perle, came with an awning (a Harrison Cabot Deluxe).
I'm waiting for a clear day with less wind before I try and erect it for the
first time. Are there any websites that show how these things go together?

I have so many poles and joiners I don't know where to start! Do I clip
the awning to the caravan then put the frame up inside or put the frame
up first next to the caravan? Can I erect the awning in the garden not using
the caravan to test it out, rather than move the caravan to the front of my
drive.
I'm assuming all the poles are present!

Thanks,

Nick

Old February 25th 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mark hesselgreaves

The secret is to find out how your frame goes together first, try to
assemble the front frame first, (looking from the side of the caravan), when
you have established how that is built you can colour code it with different
colours of tape.
Heres how i put mine up:
I assemble the front frame FACED DOWN, i then set the legs short, and
without the middle leg for now, i then put the roof member poles one at
back, one in the middle, and one at the front, all telescoped in (short) but
not done up tight, nothing is tight. (i.e. the thumb screws).

I then open up the tent part of the awning, and thread the awning leader
through the awning rail, you may need some-one to help here as it can snag
as it goes into the rail at any time not just at the start, and because
you'll need help to pull or push as its drawn through the rail.It may also
be windy!
Pull the awning carefully so you dont rip it, so that you have the same
amount of material at the ground at the front and back of the caravan.
Now go under the awning andopen it out as you do it put the front frame
short open tubes for the canopy extensions through the holes in the awning
along the front, with the legs of the frame pointing back towards the
caravan at 45 degrees, the idea of this is to hold the awning open while you
work under it, it also gives a good idea as to how long the roof poles need
to be.

Go outside now and put in the short canopy extension poles (the little short
ones with hooks on the end), point the hooks upwards and through the eye in
the awning.
and extend them to make the awning taller, the weight of the poles holds it
open if theyre leaning away from the caravan enough.
Put in the middle leg now and lengthen it too.
Start to lengthen the poles on the front frame to open the awning out at the
front to its full width.
Now take the centre roof pole and if you have the little plastic eyes
attached to the caravan for them; hook them into the eyes, then loosen the
locking screw so you can extend the pole into the receiving hole in the
front frame, push it in, and extend the pole and lock it with the locking
screw; do the same for the roof poles at the front and the back.
Now you can stand the legs up straight, and extend them to their correct
height. Dont worry it wont fall down now!
Tighten the locking screws a little more so they all hold. Some awnings may
have up to five roof poles, but as long as the main three are up first you
can put the extra ones in after this.
Making sure that the doors are zipped up closed and the leg poles are in the
correct position in the corners of the awning, its time to start pegging it.
Firstly; slide the seperate mudwall into the awning rail along the bottom
awning rail of the caravan, (thats how i do it but if you forget you can
allways thread it forwards then backwards from the wheel arch).
Again, make sure the poles are in the correct position and the doors are
zipped closed, start pegging at the corners first, then the extra flaps that
are close to the caravan, then the flat sides at the doors first then the
rest.
Make sure you can unzip the doors easily and without stretching the awning
or you'll have too much pressure on them, and you could rip the awning as a
result.
Thats it!! You can put down the ground sheet now and put the curtains up.

I know it looks alot to do but i have tried to break it into steps to make
it easy. I can put my awning up alone in 20mins including the curtains! With
practice and experience you'll be able to get it up smartly too!

I hope this helps, Avondaleman.

Old February 25th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick

Mark,

Thanks for such a comprehesive description. I think I'll print this
out and have a go tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll report back
how I get on!

Regards,

Nick

Old February 25th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken Fairhurst

"mark hesselgreaves" wrote in message
The secret is to find out how your frame goes together first, try to

really big snip

it easy. I can put my awning up alone in 20mins including the curtains!
With practice and experience you'll be able to get it up smartly too!

I hope this helps, Avondaleman.

Is it really worth it.