Batteries

Old February 26th 06, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Russ765

Default Batteries

Please forgive me if going over old ground but we are debating a second
battery for our caravan, at present we use a heavy duty car battery which on
mains sites has served us well, we now want to go on CC rallies where no
electricity will be available.

A; should we buy another heavy duty car battery which we can purchase for
29 or would we be better off with a 85 amp leisure battery.

B; second question, the first battery is under the seat in the caravan, we
intend to place the new one in the front locker, how do we wire it is it
positive to positive and negative to negative from the old battery point,
would this methods charge both batteries through the caravan zig unit (we
have a 10 year old Swift 470)

Another question please we are bidding on a Mr. Shifta 2 on ebay, at present
its at 250 what should we go to, we know the dealer no longer does this
model as its now Mr. Shifta 3 and new costs 720 which to be honest we cant
afford, as I am in poor health this device would ease the strain for me when
putting our caravan into storage as we cant reverse it and the car into a
tight space

We thank you in advance for any help

Rus

Old February 26th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Depending on it's age and useage I would stop at 250 - 300. With these
items it is best to have a go with one before you settle on buying one. I
have a Shifta 2 which, owing to my drive limitations, sometimes seems as if
it is going to come unstuck. I got mine because I suffer from Angina,
Hypertension and Arthritis. On reflection I would have done better with the
'semi-permanently fixed' chassis model from the same firm.

All the best, Peter.

. uk...

Old March 1st 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
a.n.other

Regarding the battery, I have an 85 ah leisure battery and a 120 ah car
battery. I charge them both before departure and will change for the car
battery if the leisure battery goes flat. Never yet flattened it though. If
you connect them both up, while they will both charge when you are towing,
if one packs up, it will flatten the other one too.

. uk...