Towing with Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2

Old February 26th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

Default Towing with Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2

Just put a deposit down on a new Toyota Verso 2.2 diesel. Car weights
about 1500kg and engine is 136bhp. Assumed (told salesman that I wanted
2.2 over demonstrator 2.0 as I was planning to tow a van) that this
would tow a Lunar Quasar 462 (around 1200kg) but have now discovered
that the brochure for the 2.2 diesel says the towing weight is only
1100kg. I am totally mystified why this should be so low. Toyota don't
even seem to supply towbars for these, though towbar manufacturers do. I
believe that part of the bumper would need to be cut. Anyone any idea
what implications there would be (warranty etc) should I have one of
these fitted and tow the van?
--
Ian

Old February 26th 06, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Ian said the following on 26/02/2006 19:57:
Just put a deposit down on a new Toyota Verso 2.2 diesel. Car weights
about 1500kg and engine is 136bhp. Assumed (told salesman that I wanted
2.2 over demonstrator 2.0 as I was planning to tow a van) that this
would tow a Lunar Quasar 462 (around 1200kg) but have now discovered
that the brochure for the 2.2 diesel says the towing weight is only
1100kg. I am totally mystified why this should be so low. Toyota don't
even seem to supply towbars for these, though towbar manufacturers do. I
believe that part of the bumper would need to be cut. Anyone any idea
what implications there would be (warranty etc) should I have one of
these fitted and tow the van?

Toyota website confirms towing limit - looks like get your money back or
a lighter van if you want to stay legal as vin plate will show 1100kg

Roy

Old February 26th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bert W

Ian wrote:
Just put a deposit down on a new Toyota Verso 2.2 diesel. Car weights
about 1500kg and engine is 136bhp. Assumed (told salesman that I
wanted
2.2 over demonstrator 2.0 as I was planning to tow a van) that this
would tow a Lunar Quasar 462 (around 1200kg) but have now discovered
that the brochure for the 2.2 diesel says the towing weight is only
1100kg. I am totally mystified why this should be so low. Toyota don't
even seem to supply towbars for these, though towbar manufacturers
do. I believe that part of the bumper would need to be cut. Anyone
any idea what implications there would be (warranty etc) should I
have one of these fitted and tow the van?

7-seater is indeed 1100 kg and the 5-seater 1300 kg towing limit (also the
130 kW version).

--
Regards, Bert W
www.whattowcar.com

Old February 27th 06, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Toyota Verso 2.2 diesel. Car weighs about 1500kg and engine is 136bhp.

That's almost sports car spec. Very light body with powerful engine.
Caravans are heavier and cars lighter than yesteryear.
DaveK.