LCD TV Query - Open to All...!

Old March 8th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Kim

Default LCD TV Query - Open to All...!

Hi All,

Just been looking through the comments regarding all the problems with
'van 12v supplies popping these type of tv's when connected up to the
hook-up with the battery charger on and on a 12v adapter

The 14 inch lcd tv we bought from Currys - Matsui LM14N1 240volt power
adapter supplies a 15v DC current at 4.2 amps - although not a problem
running of mains supply in the van - just curious of your thoughts as
to whether this setup would be more adaptable in these circumstances ?

The hand book details tha if used in a motor vehicle - should be out
of sight of driver etc - but doesn't specify what type of
adapter/supply is needed or..... could it be that they have made a tv
that is tolerent of 12-15 volts (probably not its DSG !!!)

Cheers,

Kim
Old March 9th 06, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Cliff Top

There is no definite answer, but maybe.
In a car when the engine is running, the battery is pulled up on charge to
14.4v by the alternator, near enough to 15v to work fine.
In the caravan the full battery will read at best perhaps 13.5v dropping
with the charge level to 12.0v ~ when empty, so is likely to drop out of the
usable range at some point. It shouldn't damage the TV to do a short test on
a full battery to prove it- making sure polarity is correct of course.!
Some 15v equipment definitely doesn't work on much less than that. I have a
Panasonic freeview box- 15v that stops working when the input voltage goes
below about 14v... basically the design tolerance is too low.
With a TV, the input supply may be too close to the supply rails needed.
e.g. The set will need a 12v high current supply to run the dc-dc convertor
for the fluorescent backlights. This normally is fairly tolerant of
undervoltage- at the expense of brightness. The 15v input will be
'regulated' by a number of devices to give perhaps 3.3v 5v 9v or 12v as
needed in the set.
Most regulators 'drop' 0.6v, thus the threshold would be 12.6v for the
overall set to work. Volt drop in the cables (by resistance) also affects
this. On the battery you may have 12.9v, but by the time it's gone through
the van electrics, and the connecting lead the tv input socket may only get
12.3v (under load/when tv is pulling 4amps). Lose the final 0.6v in the set,
and the backlight circuit only gets 11.7v ! Of course as you drop below
12.0v the brightness etc of the tubes will rapidly decrease until at perhaps
10v it ceases to work..

I have , in the past, run a mains portable off a 12-240 inverter. Works fine
but there are inefficiency losses within the inverter etc.
I have just acquired an LCD set (Sampo) that does have a 12v input, so its
thresholds are lower and it does work direct from the battery.

hope that helps
Andrew

Old March 9th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

I have a Grundig 15" LCD 12v and it works fine, however my 12v system comes
from a TP2 unit which only uses the battery as a smoother as it has a
transformer and half wave rectifier built into it. I have an inline fuse in
the supply to the TV.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old March 9th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Kim wrote on 08/03/2006 :
The hand book details tha if used in a motor vehicle - should be out
of sight of driver etc - but doesn't specify what type of
adapter/supply is needed or..... could it be that they have made a tv
that is tolerent of 12-15 volts (probably not its DSG !!!)

The do usually give these details in the design spec..

If not it might be worth ringing the manufacturer/importer. Some years
ago I bought an adaptor (SM PSU) with a range of plugs. It provides
several preset voltages between 9v and 21v at several amps, from a 12v
battery assuming the battery is anywhere in the normal voltage range.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk