Advice and Thoughts Needed - Alarm and Tyron Bands !

Old March 9th 06, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Kim

Default Advice and Thoughts Needed - Alarm and Tyron Bands !

Hi Everyone !

I want to purchase an Alarm System for my 2004 Sterling Eccels Jewel -
asked at a few caravan dealers and been getting quotes around 300-350
fitted.

Now looking around - these alarms seem to retail for around 165 - so
being reasonably adept with a screwdriver and electrics and having
fitted several house/car alarm systems - I think I could fit it
myself.

Have looked at a couple and have found one called 'Sola-Larm SLA-845'
which has got all the usual bits - tilt/current trigger + pir + low
current usage etc....

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this alarm or can
recommend another good one ?

Secondly, will be using the 'van at every opportunity this year and
thinking of fitting 'Tyron Bands' to the wheels - having seen some of
the damage caused to a caravan when they have suffered a blow-out.

Are they worth the investment or are there any other alternatives ?

Will be driving via Calais to Perpignan this August for 2 weeks and so
I want to cover all eventualities if I can !!!

Thanks again for everyone's time and helpfulness

Cheers,

Kim
Old March 9th 06, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Kim" wrote in message
news
[...]

Alarms, I would look at ,say, B&Q they seem to have alarms in all shapes and
sizes. If you mount the box in the wardrobe size will not mater, but if
adjacent to the door the smaller the better.
Tyron, well if you look after your tyres do not think they maybe neccessary.
Did have a set on one caravan, I believe problems come if you have a
puncture when many fitters can't get your old tyre off. Carry the special
tool and instructions.

Please reply to News Group

Old March 9th 06, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin

We suffered a frightening 'snake' last year while towing through France.
Luckily, even though badly damaged, we could still tow the van to our
destination. Before doing so had to change wheel as tyre looked knackered.
Later we found that the 'punctured' tyre wasn't punctured but had deflated
for some reason or other, possibly because Tyron banded tyres can run soft
for quite a while before suddenly deflating, which might have cause our
snake. Also, the French tyre fitter had never seen Tyron bands and beggared
the one in the offending tyre. However, I'm still using Tyrons just in case
of a proper blow out.

Old March 9th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Kim" wrote in message
news
Hi Everyone !

I want to purchase an Alarm System for my 2004 Sterling Eccels Jewel -
asked at a few caravan dealers and been getting quotes around 300-350
fitted.

Now looking around - these alarms seem to retail for around 165 - so
being reasonably adept with a screwdriver and electrics and having
fitted several house/car alarm systems - I think I could fit it
myself.

Have looked at a couple and have found one called 'Sola-Larm SLA-845'
which has got all the usual bits - tilt/current trigger + pir + low
current usage etc....

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this alarm or can
recommend another good one ?

Your van should be prewired for the optional alarm, which would make the
most sense.

Cheers