Awnings

Old March 11th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Microchips

Default Awnings

Having camped in a tent for decades, we've moved to a folding camper and
have, for the first time, been presented with the problems of what to do
with an awning.

Why do people nail them to the hardstanding, rather than park near the grass
and then peg them to the grass? Or am I being silly?

So accepting that I'm going to have to nail it to the hardstanding, what
kind of nail do I ask for in the camping shop?

Old March 11th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Remus

"Microchips" wrote in message .uk...
Having camped in a tent for decades, we've moved to a folding camper and
have, for the first time, been presented with the problems of what to do
with an awning.

Why do people nail them to the hardstanding, rather than park near the grass
and then peg them to the grass? Or am I being silly?

You don't always get the choice. Size/orientation of the pitch may mean the position of the awning is decided for you.
Also, wet conditions may make putting the awning on a hardstanding preferable to pitching it on grass where a muddy track may quickly develop with constant usage.

So accepting that I'm going to have to nail it to the hardstanding, what
kind of nail do I ask for in the camping shop?

The most effective pegs I've found are those that, literally, look like nine inch nails. You can get them with plastic 'T'-bar tops or with a welded crossbar. Most caravan accessory shops should sell them. Last time I looked, about a year ago, they were between 50p and 75p each.

Old March 11th 06, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Furry Fred

Remus wrote:
[...]

Why pay that much?

take your 9" nail and also a "repair washer" about 1.5 inches diameter.
Put the washer on the nail and loop your line below the washer!

's easy

--
Furry Fred - a very nice, polite, handsome and generous gentleman who?s
so, so very modest!

Old March 12th 06, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Microchips" wrote in message
.uk...

Why do people nail them to the hardstanding, rather than park near the

grass
and then peg them to the grass? Or am I being silly?

The only point of hardstandings is to 1) protect the grass and 2) provide an
all weather pitch 3) give a more stable pitch for heavy vehicles like
motorhomes.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk