Zafira Towbar Wiring

Old March 13th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Edwards

Default Zafira Towbar Wiring

Hello All

I have just got a 2002 Zafira and need to put on a towbar.

Fitting the actual bar looks straightforward so its just the electrics.

I have seen some have a prewired socket but mine does not seem to have one
so its scotchlocks then.

The area where the jack is stored seems to have all wiring routed through it
so that would be a good place to do the wiring. The only issue is that the
cable looks a lot smaller than I expected. I was a bit worried about
doubling the current down a cable which is only designed to drive one bulb.

So the question is what have others done? Can I just break into the wires at
this point with no issues or do I need one of the wiring kits I have seen.
These kits only seem to piggy back onto existing wiring in any case so I
presume the cables are able to take the extra load.

Any advice welcome

Paul Edwards

Old March 13th 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gio

"Paul Edwards" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Paul, I bought one of towsure's lighting kits for the indicator relay
back in '03 but for the rear lights I simply broke into the wiring at the
rear of the tail lights for the relevant lighting connections. I opted to
strip the insulation and solder the branch then insulate. Most of the
wiring was accessible having removed the access panels on each side of the
boot. What did surprise me was that having installed the towsure product,
an indicator warning light on the dash illuminates (yellow and shaped like a
tow hitch) whenever the trailer is attached so I suppose I did not require
the audible warning. Given it was some time ago, I will have to dig out my
notes and give them a once over.

Gio

Old March 13th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James I. Terry

Go to www.pctautomotive.com and then into the Products section, then choose
electrics - there's some history and explanation of your problem and
solution. - towing interface relays, take a signal from the road lights
cables but no load.

James.

Old March 13th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Check with your Haynes Caravan Manual.

All the best, Peter.