Volvo 98 TksV70 Mismatch Auto

Old March 14th 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T

Default Volvo 98 TksV70 Mismatch Auto

Anyone got any info re 2.4 10v version with auto not being really up to
towing?Been said you definitely need the 20v. Van is two berth bailey ranger
circa 97Was about to bid for such a volvo and now been put off by lack of
towcar ability.(Dont want to struggle in peak district )
Tks

Old March 14th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Capt T" wrote in message
Anyone got any info re 2.4 10v version with auto not being really up to
towing?Been said you definitely need the 20v. Van is two berth bailey
ranger
circa 97Was about to bid for such a volvo and now been put off by lack of
towcar ability.(Dont want to struggle in peak district )
Tks

Don't know about the specific vehicle, but in simple engineering terms the
10V engine should have more low down torque than the 20V (all to do with gas
speeds). The Bailey, depending on model, probably has a MTPLM or MGW of
around 1000kg, easily towable by a V70. The age of your van will be on the
registration doc.

Cheers

Old March 14th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:47:17 -0000, "Capt T"
wrote:

Anyone got any info re 2.4 10v version with auto not being really up to
towing?Been said you definitely need the 20v. Van is two berth bailey ranger
circa 97Was about to bid for such a volvo and now been put off by lack of
towcar ability.(Dont want to struggle in peak district )
Tks

I don't know about the 2.4 10v V70 but the only Automatic car I have
tried to tow with was a 2.0 20 v 850 saloon 1994. And that I traded a
couple of months after I bought it because as a tow car the mismatch
between engine sppeds and the gearbox and towing speeds made it almost
useless. I bought a 2.0 20v 850 saloon as a replacement and I am still
driving it 7 years later, that one works well as a tow car. I did
drive a 2.4 20v 850 estate whilst looking for a fresh car but could
not afford it. Having driven it I suspect it was a completely
different proposition than the 2.0. On a point of interst I was towing
an Award daystar with a laden weight of about 1200 kg.

Bill Lord

Old March 15th 06, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

You should try the diesel manual version, unless there is a reason for using
auto. You may even be better off considering a late (1997-8) V90. Available
only in auto form but with a 204bhp non-turbo 3 Litre six. It may still be
possible to find a V90 with 2.5 Litre six and manual box. Both versions are
to die for as tow cars and all round great vehicles. They have Independant
rear suspension with self-levelling and more torque available than the five
cylinder engines of the 850 & S/V70s (mk 1). I run a 945 SE 2.4
(six-cylinder turbo-intercooled diesel) with M90 manual five-speed box and
find it difficult to keep DOWN to 60 mph on motorways when towing, even in
fifth gear.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).