4x4 or Merc as tow car

Old March 18th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

Default 4x4 or Merc as tow car

We currently have an old (1994) W124 E220 Mercedes automatic estate, which
we use as our tow car.

It is getting a bit long in the tooth, and is due what is likely to be an
expensive MOT in a couple of months, which put me to wondering about
replacing it.

We are considering something like a manual diesel Frontera, 1998/99 vintage.

Anyone tow with such a vehicle who might be able to share their experiences?
Or does anyone have any helpful comments to make?

Very early stages at the moment.

Old March 18th 06, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
We currently have an old (1994) W124 E220 Mercedes automatic estate, which
we use as our tow car.

It is getting a bit long in the tooth, and is due what is likely to be an
expensive MOT in a couple of months, which put me to wondering about
replacing it.

We are considering something like a manual diesel Frontera, 1998/99
vintage.

Anyone tow with such a vehicle who might be able to share their
experiences? Or does anyone have any helpful comments to make?

Very early stages at the moment.

I drive a 2003 frontera 2.2 Diesel standard 4X4 which gives exceeds the
speed limit by about 40MPH when driven solo and is a great car. I tow an
Abbey GTS Vogue and do not know it is on the back. My previous tow car was a
Vauxhall 2ltr Omega automatic because of my experience with this car I will
never again drive an automatic towing and will stick to a manual gearbox.
The four wheel drive on my present car is not normally used and since owning
the car (2 years) I have only used the four wheel drive twice once on a wet
field the other in snow to get up a hill both times it was supurb..

Old March 18th 06, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland Leopard

etomd wrote:
"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message

I drive a 2003 frontera 2.2 Diesel standard 4X4 which gives exceeds the
speed limit by about 40MPH when driven solo and is a great car. I tow an
Abbey GTS Vogue and do not know it is on the back. My previous tow car was a
Vauxhall 2ltr Omega automatic because of my experience with this car I will
never again drive an automatic towing and will stick to a manual gearbox.
The four wheel drive on my present car is not normally used and since owning
the car (2 years) I have only used the four wheel drive twice once on a wet
field the other in snow to get up a hill both times it was supurb..

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

We have, this afternoon, test driven two cars - a Frontera and a
Freelander.

The Frontera was slightly older, petrol, and was in need of some TLC.
We didn't enjoy the drive, but its possible that the car wasn't typical
of the breed.

We liked the Freelander, but it is a petrol model with the K-series
engine which I understand has a history of problems. The dealer said
that they replace the manifold gasket (?) before selling them, which
normally solves the problem. The salesman also said that they had a
towing limit of 1.8tons. I forgot to ask him what the kerb-weight was,
so that I could work out the 85% weight.

Old March 18th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Leyland Leopard" wrote in message
oups.com...

etomd wrote:
[...]

The later model Frontera with the 2.2 Diesel is the one to go for. The
Freelander, although correct in terms of towing limits etc, is not powerful
enough with the K series. TD4 is much better, but much more expensive.

If it was me, I'd have the W124 MOTd and keep it.

Cheers