First Towing Experience

Old March 19th 06, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick Dawkins

Default First Towing Experience

Hi,

As I've now got the towbar fitted to my 2.0l Auto Laguna I thought
I'd practise towing and reversing with my Perle Olympus attached.
What an experience! I thought at first I couldn't get out of the drive
because of the turning circle and garden fence. Anyway, after taking
a very wide turn onto the opposite pavement I made it onto the road.

I found the actual towing okay, and went to the local industrial estate
to practise some reversing. This I found just as hard as I expected,
but I think I got there in the end, practising between some pallets!

My main question is, when doing these slow practise manoeuvres
the engine got really hot very quickly, is this normal? It never gets
that hot without the caravan so I hope it's just because of the extra
load on the car?

It was by the way, much harder getting the caravan back in the drive
as it was getting it out. I eventually gave up once I'd cleared the pavement
and moved it by hand back to its home.

Nick

Old March 19th 06, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Nick Dawkins" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Nick,

I would recommend attending one of the towing courses organised by the CC or
equivalent. I had never towed before and found the weekend course a total
godsend. We (wifey) attended the course and and picked our van up the
following weekend. Having both of us attend the same course it made
reversing very easy as we would know what the other was attempting to do and
give directions accordingly.

Kind Regards

Mike

PS : My wife is actually better at towing and reversing than me!! - but I
will keep that very very quiet.

Old March 19th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , Nick Dawkins
muttered:
I found the actual towing okay, and went to the local industrial estate
to practise some reversing. This I found just as hard as I expected,
but I think I got there in the end, practising between some pallets!

I bought my 'van in Europe (another story), so my first time towing was
leaving the dealership. When I got to the ferry terminal (Amsterdam to
Newcastle), they leaded the cars first, then to my horror started
reversing the wagons down the narrow ramp onto the ship. I had to o the
same, watched by the ferry passengers who were on the ship. Talk about 3
steps forward, one step back (or is it the other way around!).

Stick with it, you'll achieve competence soon enough - but it is never
"second nature" (in my experience).

--
Andy

Old March 19th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Comish

In message , Mike R
writes

Mike

PS : My wife is actually better at towing and reversing than me!! - but I
will keep that very very quiet.

Join the club, in an earlier incarnation my missus was a class one
police advanced driver, not only is she better at towing than me, she's
a better driver all round. As you say shhhhh keep it quiet :-)))

Cheers
--
Alan Comish

Mannin