So, how many of us are gonna get clobbered by this road tax escalator?

Old March 22nd 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
skintoo

Default So, how many of us are gonna get clobbered by this road tax escalator?

Well, I've got a Merc camper (adapted commercial vehicle) with a 4
litre engine.

Yes, I know it's big, but i use public transport and bicyle as much as
possible for nearly the whole year, and restrict my camper usage to a
few trips in the warmer weather. I'm even getting a trailer for my bike
so I can use it for shopping runs, light transport and the like!

So I reckon my personal carbon emission profile is probably not too bad
in spite of the Merc..

But with the prospect of road tax for big engines going on a
year-by-year escalator, looks like I may end up storing off road
somewhere (not easy for me, but I can shed it for a fee),
and paying tax and insurance just for six months of the year. Or maybe
just the three months.

I guess this'll effect a lot of people who post here. And if you're
towing a caravan, presumably you need a fairly powerful car.

Any one know if this tax will apply to vehicles registered as campers?

Afterall, I would have thought a purpose built or adapted camper will
generally do minimal mileage compared to a yuppy sloane-ranger 4 by 4,
since it is a holiday vehicle and not suitable for running round town.

I'd much prefer we were taxed on the carbon emmissions we actually
produced rather than just on having a big engine.

Old March 23rd 06, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"skintoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Mileage has nowt to do with it you just have to own it.

Most smaller 4x4s and most of the 2WD popular tow cars will not be affected
by todays changes. This was posted elsewhere which is a good overall general
round up.

The actual changes are...

* Vehicles registered before 1st March 2001

Duty for vehicles above 1549cc increased from 170 to 175. Duty for
smaller engines unchanged at 110.

* Vehicles registered on or after 1st March 2001

Band D and E vehicles have their duty unchanged. Vehicles with lower
emissions have cheaper RFL, and vehicles with higher emissions get
more expensive.

For vehicles that don't fall into the next group, the highest band
is still F, with petrol RFL rising from 165 to 190, and diesel
rising from 170 to 195.

* Vehicles registered on or after 23rd March 2006

This has the new GVED band "G". For emissions of 226 g/km or more
of CO2, this introduces a RFL of 200 for alternative fuels, 210
for petrol, and 215 for diesel.

You might find this link useful

The CO2 emission for your vehicle is probably shown on your vehicle reg
document.

HTH ............... Richard

Old March 23rd 06, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"Richard" wrote in message

"skintoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Don't get this.........I have a Frontera 2.2 Standard diesel 4X4 2003.

On the registration certificate it says that the car has CO emissions of
0.117 g/km
which according to the link posted puts the car in band B with taxation at
40.00 Have I......... Am I missing a trick or can someone tell me any
different.?

Old March 23rd 06, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"etomd" [email protected] wrote in message

"Richard" wrote in
message ...

"skintoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You want the CO2 figure which (if shown) is under V7 (which is towards the
top of the list) not the CO figure which is shown under V1

Richard