The Law at 75?

Old March 25th 06, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default The Law at 75?

FYI
I know this is the wrong NG for this but I was yesterday looking at Motor
Homes (Posh Ford Transits) and if at some stage in the future I would change
from our caravan to one of these. The overall cost is about the same with a
Land Rover and Van costing the same as a equivalent Motor Home.
Now as I have said before we are keen walkers and the prospect of dumping
45k worth of Motor Home on a remote French mountainside for the day let
alone a lay-by in the Cotswolds does not seem wise? So for now it was just
window shopping for retirement and beyond in a few years.
Then "She who must" piped up but what will we do when on some remote site
and want our morning croissants? Now I pop in the car to the local
boulangerie in a nearby town while "the boss" makes the coffee and does
female things to the van. Good point! In a Motor Home it seems you would
have to break down and both drive to get the supplies, not that convenient.
But the bomb shell came from the salesman who while looking round a Kon Tiki
pointed out that it was over 4 ton?
This did not at first register as a problem having dragged our van all over
the UK and over there with little problems, (except last year) (see earlier
posts) (God Bless the CC Red Pennant).
But it seems that this caring government or the EU (they are as bad as each
other in my view) have brought in a law that ONCE YOU ARE &) YOU CAN NOT
DRIVE A HOTOR HOME OVER 3.5 TONs! and as most are on that level or more now
and getting heavier year by year its a problem.
So no Kon Tiki for us for a whole load of reasons but then when will it be
applied to the Caravan market?

Peter

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0612-4, 25/03/2006
Tested on: 25/03/2006 08:42:00

Old March 27th 06, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:42:00 -0000, "Peter"
wrote:

[...]

You can drive vehicles between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes with a C1
license. (which you will automatically have if you passed your car
test before 1997)

This will need renewing annually after age 65, and will need a
doctor's certificate, but there is no age at which it automatically
cannot be renewed,.

So no Kon Tiki for us for a whole load of reasons but then when will it be
applied to the Caravan market?

It already does, and has for some time.

Any combination over 3.5 tonnes requires the "full" towing licence,
which is subject to similar rules as the C1 license.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Famous last words - You and what army?

Old March 27th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

This will need renewing annually after age 65, and will need a
doctor's certificate, but there is no age at which it automatically
cannot be renewed,.

Sure its 65 Alex

I hope not

DieSea

Old March 27th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

wrote:

[...]

Tested on: 27/03/2006 14:20:15

Thanks for that I did not know that.

It was the salesman who brought up the 70 years and out comment so he was
wrong has it changed?

Peter

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0612-4, 25/03/2006
Tested on: 27/03/2006 14:23:18