New Law Repost

Old March 25th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default New Law Repost

FYI
I know this is the wrong NG for this but I was yesterday looking at Motor
Homes (Posh Ford Transits) and if at some stage in the future I would change
from our caravan to one of these. The overall cost is about the same with a
Land Rover and Van costing the same as a equivalent Motor Home.
Now as I have said before we are keen walkers and the prospect of dumping
45k worth of Motor Home on a remote French mountainside for the day let
alone a lay-by in the Cotswolds does not seem wise? So for now it was just
window shopping for retirement and beyond in a few years.
Then "She who must" piped up but what will we do when on some remote site
and want our morning croissants? Now I pop in the car to the local
boulangerie in a nearby town while "the boss" makes the coffee and does
female things to the van. Good point! In a Motor Home it seems you would
have to break down and both drive to get the supplies, not that convenient.
But the bomb shell came from the salesman who while looking round a Kon Tiki
pointed out that it was over 4 ton?
This did not at first register as a problem having dragged our van all over
the UK and over there with little problems, (except last year) (see earlier
posts) (God Bless the CC Red Pennant).
But it seems that this caring government or the EU (they are as bad as each
other in my view) have brought in a law that ONCE YOU ARE 70 YOU CAN NOT
DRIVE A HOTOR HOME OVER 3.5 TONs! and as most are on that level or more now
and getting heavier year by year its a problem.
So no Kon Tiki for us for a whole load of reasons but then when will it be
applied to the Caravan market?

Peter

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0612-4, 25/03/2006
Tested on: 25/03/2006 11:06:59

Old March 25th 06, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

I know nothing about this but does that law passed by the French only apply
to french nationals?

The reason I ask this is cos of the law in the UK relating to the towing of
over-wide caravans by smaller vehicles (less than large van size) only
applies to UK nationals and not visitors.

May be worth checking.

Steve

Old March 25th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Peter" wrote in
:

But it seems that this caring government or the EU (they are as bad as
each other in my view) have brought in a law that ONCE YOU ARE 70 YOU
CAN NOT DRIVE A HOTOR HOME OVER 3.5 TONs! and as most are on that
level or more now and getting heavier year by year its a problem.

AIUI, your entitlement for both towing outfits that aren't in the new
category B and for driving solo above 3.5 tonne lasts for as long as your
license if you have "grandfather's rights" from passing your car test
before 1997. If your license is revoked, and you have to take another test,
you lose any grandfather's rights and so have to take additional tests to
tow large outfits, drive large motorhomes, etc. However, I'm not clear on
the situation when you renew your license under normal circumstances.

Your license expires when you reach 70 and you must renew it periodically
from then. However, I'm not sure whether your new license is actually a new
license or whether it is effectively continuing your current entitlement.
FWIW, I've heard claims of both. If the former, then you lose your
grandfather's rights and must take additional tests to drive large outfits;
if the latter, your entitlement should pass to the new document.

I suspect that whatever the official stance, you'd either lose your
entitlement to all categories other than "B" or you'd keep the lot. That
said, I guess that the DVLA would be the best people to answer your
question.

HTH,

--
Geoff