Speed cameras and 60mph limit of caravans.

Old March 26th 06, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Speed cameras and 60mph limit of caravans.

When towing on a road with say a 70mph limit and our limit being less with a
caravan can speed cameras tell we are caravaneers? Or do they treat all the
same, cars, wagons, caravans and only photogragh when going over 70mph.?
I try hard not to exceed the limits but I'm just wondering.

Please reply to News Group

Old March 26th 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gio

"David" wrote in message
When towing on a road with say a 70mph limit and our limit being less with
a caravan can speed cameras tell we are caravaneers? Or do they treat all
the same, cars, wagons, caravans and only photogragh when going over
70mph.?
I try hard not to exceed the limits but I'm just wondering.

Please reply to News Group

Currently I understand all types of 'safety camera' only identify speed
although the 'specs type' register every vehicle registration number passing
and measure the time taken to cover some distance (frequently used to
control speeds around motorway roadwork's) I assume the registration number
could easily cross reference the database records for the vehicle type and
flag up a warning on the system. Hence a goods vehicle registration could
easily identify its max permitted speed of 60mph. You on the other hand
David have a solo car to all intent and purposes from the car registration
details so on a dual carriageway or motorway the national max speed limit of
70 would apply in most areas. Get caught by one of these towing above the
70mph limit and I would think a fine would be higher than the standard 3
points and 60 fine. Having said that I have not heard of anyone saying
anything about such occurrences.
Get yourself a Garmin i3 sat nav unit and download the speed camera database
to help you keep on the right side of the law as not only are the camera
sights marked but you get an audible and visible warning if over shooting
the published speed by 1mph ;-)

Gio

Old March 26th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
George

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:38:47 +0100, "Gio" x wrote:

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Cheaper to just watch your speed.

Old March 26th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gio

"George" wrote in message
reenews.net...
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:38:47 +0100, "Gio" x wrote:

Get yourself a Garmin i3 sat nav unit and download the speed camera
database
to help you keep on the right side of the law as not only are the camera
sights marked but you get an audible and visible warning if over shooting
the published speed by 1mph ;-)

Cheaper to just watch your speed.

May be so George but it is not always as easy as you seem to suggest. I was
passing through Aberdeen last w/e on a 40mph four lane road that dropped to
30. A bus obscured the nearside speed marker and a wagon the other. I had
no intention of exceeding the speed limit but looking for directional sign
posts through not being familiar with the road at all and monitoring other
road users etc meant the 30mph signs did not jump out to me or my co driver.
If I had not got the alert on my navigator then I may have been typing this
with a fine and penalty points letter on my knee. For me the 129 is well
worth it. Not foolproof by any means but simply an aid.

Gio