Gas guzzling 4x4s. car tax increases

Old March 26th 06, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture
George

Default Gas guzzling 4x4s. car tax increases

Some fools seem to think the problem is just emissions, its not. Its
about the resources used to build these beasts, and the resources used
to run them.

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/search.asp

Why should some lardarse driving a huge 4x4 doing 10mpg, be classed
the same as the schoolteacher driving a Smart car doing 60mpg, not to
mention cost in tyres etc?

If you need a 4x4 most of the year to get around, fine, no problem. If
you use one to pull a dolls house around, AND THEN whinge at the tax
increases, you need to wake up and smell the roses.

So whinge away, but don't pretend its just about your exhaust
emissions.

http://tinyurl.com/jv666

The cars involved are some of the least fuel efficient available and
activists hope to disrupt sales of them in a bid to stop them wrecking
the climate.

At a further 30 UK towns Greenpeace protests with volunteers outside
Land Rover dealerships are being held.

Speaking from the Kensington based HR Owen Land Rover forecourt in
London, Greenpeace's Executive Director Stephen Tindale stated:

"We've taken direct action today across the country to stop Land Rover
selling these climate wrecking cars. A petrol Range Rover Sport does a
measly 12mpg in town, that's less miles per gallon than a model T Ford
did 80 years ago. In a world where 150,000 people are dying each year
because of climate change selling cars like this for urban use is
indefensible."

Land Rover is aggressively marketing these gas-guzzlers for use in
cities. Once associated with hard-wearing vehicles for farming and
other commercial uses Land Rover now markets their 4x4's or SUVs
(Sports utility vehicles) as glamorous products for urban dwellers
with 3.2million a year spent on advertising in London alone.
Publicity material for the new Range Rover Sport boasts: "On-road it
is astounding. There has never been a Land Rover so focused on precise
handling, agility and awesome tarmac performance."

The petrol Range Rover Sport is the least efficient of the top selling
4x4's in the UK, clocking in at only 12mpg for urban use. Other cars
in the Land Rover range don't fare much better with some Discoveries
only getting 12.3 miles per gallon. In stark contrast is the European
car of the year, the Toyota Prius which does 55 miles to the gallon in
the city - four times more than a V8 Range Rover Vogue or Sport.

A recently conducted Greenpeace survey in the UK showed massive
support for increased road tax on gas-guzzlers. Of those surveyed on
average between 97 and 99% wanted higher taxes for cars that spew out
high amounts of climate damaging Co2.

The public of the UK are today being given the chance to show their
rejection of gas-guzzlers as local volunteers distribute 100s of
postcards calling on Land Rover to stop producing the climate wrecking
cars, signed postcards will then be handed to local Land Rover
managers at the end of the day.

Greenpeace's Stephen Tindale said:

"Land Rover bosses are climate criminals, they continue to build and
sell some of the most polluting and climate damaging cars around
today. Land Rover and Ford have the know-how and expertise to develop
far more fuel efficient vehicles but are choosing not to. Considering
the climate crisis the world is entering that is nothing short of
criminal. We're taking action across the UK to give them a message
that they need to clean up their act."

He continued: "We're also calling on Tony Blair to increase road tax
on gas-guzzlers to clear them off our city roads. Most of them don't
tackle anything more challenging than a speed hump yet they do four
times as much damage to the climate as most fuel efficient family
cars. Even Tony Blair's Chief Scientific Advisor Sir David King
recently said he "didn't think it was defensible to drive round in
SUVs in cities."(1)

Today's events are part of a summer of action against gas-guzzling
4x4's involving a 1000 Greenpeace volunteers across the UK who will be
using 20,000 road signs that say 'NO 4x4s', 50,000 cards to be filled
in by the public and given to MP's, 25,000 4x4 'product recall
notices' to be placed in car magazines, 1000 'incident boards' -
notices that look like pleas for information at a crime scene and
50,000 car window stickers for use on urban 4x4s.

In the UK transport accounts for about a quarter of all emissions that
cause climate change, transport is also the fastest rising sector of
UK Co2 emissions. Motor manufacturers such as Ford (Land Rovers parent
company) could choose to play a leading role in the search for
solutions to the current climate change crisis. In contrast Ford, both
in UK and in the US, have actively tried to block efforts to tackle
climate change. In the UK, Ford tried to block measures to introduce
Co2 labeling on cars, similar to the energy efficiency ratings found
on fridges (2) which could help the public choose lower emission cars.

For more information please call Greenpeace Press Office on 0207 865
8255
Photo and video available

NOTES
(1)Sir David King speaking of BBC radio 4's Desert island discs (27th
may 2005)
(2) The Independent 1 Feb 2004: Greenpeace is asking the prime
minister to alter VED (vehicle excise duty) on cars to reflect their
impact on the climate.
Old March 26th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture
Peter

"George" wrote in message
reenews.net...
[...]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0612-4, 25/03/2006
Tested on: 26/03/2006 10:05:18

All very fine and saving only 20 a year does not seem much until you add
all the 20 up and then you have a slightly larger picture. As the Chinese
proverb says " Every journey starts with a small step!"

But as one who drives a 60MPG Audi day to day and has a 30 MPG (towing) Land
Rover Freelander to tow our caravan (Changing to the hair shirt as we speak)
I would widen the problem a little more.

First my hobby is walking and I have a caravan to stay in in fields and the
like all over the place. But I need a 4x4 to tow safely the ever increasing
caravan weights that the manufacturers now make. As I have said only this
week in this Ng why does so many caravaner's need the kitchen sink with them
when they commune with nature? Electrical this and that needing hook ups and
more requirements on energy the root of the problems world wide.

Also if the caravan makers stopped increasing the dead weights of vans year
on year and we the caravan users were a little more green in our hobby's we
could show a positive return rather than the "I am all right jack and F***
the rest! ""I need my DVD, LCD, hair dryer, sky, laptop, CD player etc"
attitude that seem to be creeping in, we all could get back to what
enjoying our hobby was and IMO should be about.

For me I will try to do my bit but the real problem that needs looking at as
well sooner rather than later is cheap air travel. now there is a problem
that needs dealing with. That is a area where F*** the planet is uppermost
rather than people who try to keep their energy foot print as small as
possible.

Oh yes and motor caravans what are they about in energy terms?

Peter.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0612-4, 25/03/2006
Tested on: 26/03/2006 10:44:36

Old March 26th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture
Jim Webster

"Peter" wrote in message

Oh yes and motor caravans what are they about in energy terms?

Peter.

think how much energy we'd save if we stopped feeding people in urban
conurbations and let them return to nature
--

Jim Webster.
Pat Gardiner, Five years raving about bent vets and still no result

Old March 26th 06, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture
Mike Marsh

My car has been converted to run on LPG. This process requires the engine to
be started on petrol which then automatically switches to LPG when the
engine is sufficiently warmed up.

Consequently, over the last 26000 miles the petrol consumption has averaged
at 110 mpg.

The results of the emission tests, at the last MoT in February 2006,
demonstrated that the car's carbon emission are so low as to be negligible.
The "Fast Idle "test" produced 0.03% carbon emission (Max. permitted limit
0.20%) and produced 0.01% carbon emission for the "Natural Idle Test" (Max.
permitted limit 0.30%).

Yet I haven't seen any reference to the benefits of LPG fuel in Mr. Brown's
"carbon emission tax" Budget of 2006. It is quite conceivable that a "new"
small car is more polluting than my 6 year old car, yet it's "show room"
specification earns it the benefit of a "lower rate RFL". Perhaps someone
better versed in these matters could advise.

Oops, I forgot to mention the car is a Landrover Discovery - does this
simply nullify the above facts and relegate the vehicle into the "highly
taxable gas guzzling" bracket?

As ever, to try and cover a subject with a "broad brush" fails to
acknowledge the detail and presents a dangerously inaccurate perception.

By all means make comment, but do it from an informed position.