Compass Rallye Battery changeover

Old March 29th 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian Pollard

Default Compass Rallye Battery changeover

Hi
I recently purchased a 2001 Compass Rallye and cannot work out
how the car battery/inboard batteries are switched. I go to a large
number of sites that have no electric hookup and was wondering if I can
still use my constant 12volt lead from the 12S socket on the car to the
12S plug on the caravan. On our old caravan, I used to have a switch to
select which battery to use but cannot find any such switch on the new
van. Any help appreciated.

Ian
Old March 30th 06, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
Hi
I recently purchased a 2001 Compass Rallye and cannot work out
how the car battery/inboard batteries are switched. I go to a large
number of sites that have no electric hookup and was wondering if I can
still use my constant 12volt lead from the 12S socket on the car to the
12S plug on the caravan. On our old caravan, I used to have a switch to
select which battery to use but cannot find any such switch on the new
van. Any help appreciated.

On a modern caravan the switching we used to do as been replaced by
automatic relays within the caravan. You should find you can connect in the
way you describe to your car.

Please reply to News Group

Old March 30th 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

On a modern caravan the switching we used to do as been replaced by
automatic relays within the caravan. You should find you can connect in
the way you describe to your car.

Unless the car wiring is pre 1998 spec, or there is no fridge relay in the
car.

Cheers

Old March 31st 06, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian Pollard

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:22:48 GMT, "D[email protected] home"
wrote:

On a modern caravan the switching we used to do as been replaced by
automatic relays within the caravan. You should find you can connect in
the way you describe to your car.

Unless the car wiring is pre 1998 spec, or there is no fridge relay in the
car.

Cheers

What relevance has that to the changeover switch? When I am
towing, I have my 12N and 12S plugs both connected. The 12S is set up
with relays for battery charging and fridge. When I am on site, I simply
use the direct 12S 12 volt on-all-of-the-time feed from the car battery
if my caravan inboard battery gets low. My original question may have
been misleading. My old caravan had a selector switch to select between
inboard battery and car battery for use on site. I have a short
extension that takes only the direct on-all-of-the-time 12 volts from
the 12S socket and takes it to the caravan 12S plug as an alternative 12
volt supply. What I was wondering is how do I switch between the two
apart from pulling out the plug supplying the feed from the car? There
doesn't appear to be a switch for this purpose in the caravan.

Ian