caravanning in Scotland

Old March 31st 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dirk Vdm

Default caravanning in Scotland

Hello,

we're a Flemish family and we are planning a caravanning tour trough
Scotland in the month of July.
We're looking for information on nice caravanning sites and for general
information about driving with a caravan on scottish roads.
I guess roads in north-west Scotland are still not suitable for caravans,
but how about the roads at the east coast? What's the best way to drive to
the Isle of Skye?
Our trip will go from Dover over Cambridge, Newcastle, Jedburgh, Edingburgh,
Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, John O'Groats, back to Loch Ness, Skye, Fot
William and all the way back to Dover.
All information welcome!
Thanks,
Dirk.

Old March 31st 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
keith stone

Flemish, for those not in the know, means Dirk and family come from the
Dutch speaking part of Belgium. Sorry can't help further as I'm still
looking forward to my first trip to Scotland.

Dirk Vdm" schreef in bericht
t...

Old March 31st 06, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Dirk Vdm wrote:
Hello,

we're a Flemish family and we are planning a caravanning tour trough
Scotland in the month of July.
We're looking for information on nice caravanning sites and for general
information about driving with a caravan on scottish roads.
I guess roads in north-west Scotland are still not suitable for caravans,

Most roads are accessible to caravans even in the north west. You will
find many of the roads there in much better condition than those down south!

Much will depend on your car/caravan combination, but I regularly use
even those roads marked 'unsuitable for caravans'(there are not many)
without problems.

Don't be frightened away from the north west - you will be more than
adequately rewarded by stunning scenery.

Enjoy your trip.

Old March 31st 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

"Dirk Vdm" wrote in message
t...
Hello,

we're a Flemish family and we are planning a caravanning tour trough
Scotland in the month of July.
We're looking for information on nice caravanning sites and for general
information about driving with a caravan on scottish roads.
I guess roads in north-west Scotland are still not suitable for caravans,
but how about the roads at the east coast? What's the best way to drive to
the Isle of Skye?
Our trip will go from Dover over Cambridge, Newcastle, Jedburgh,
Edingburgh, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, John O'Groats, back to Loch Ness,
Skye, Fot William and all the way back to Dover.
All information welcome!
Thanks,
Dirk.

We took our caravan to North West Scotland last year and it was only our
second trip with it (we're caravanning beginners).

We found the roads were easy to navigate with the caravan. I found it easy
because the roads were good and there wasn't too much traffic even in the
middle of summer. My wife found it easy because she was fast asleep while I
was driving.

We stayed at Ardmair Point, a few miles North of Ullapool, and I thoroughly
recommend it. It's a nice clean site, and the scenery is stunning. We'll
be going back there as soon as we can.

Enjoy your stay

Pete