Towing on trade plates

Old April 1st 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.driving
Leyland_Leopard

Default Towing on trade plates

Took a test-drive this morning in a tow car we were considering buying. As
part of the test-drive, I wanted to tow our caravan, and duly took it out
for a spin.

The dealer wasn't sure whether or not it was legal to tow on trade plates.
As I was towing as a legitimate test-drive (I towed from the caravan storage
site up and down a few hills and put it back into storage 30 mins later), I
would have thought it was a legitimate use of trade plates. Anyone know
whether it was or not?

Old April 1st 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.driving
CampinGazz

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
Took a test-drive this morning in a tow car we were considering buying.
As part of the test-drive, I wanted to tow our caravan, and duly took it
out for a spin.

The dealer wasn't sure whether or not it was legal to tow on trade plates.
As I was towing as a legitimate test-drive (I towed from the caravan
storage site up and down a few hills and put it back into storage 30 mins
later), I would have thought it was a legitimate use of trade plates.
Anyone know whether it was or not?

Probably not, i know your not allowed to use trade plates on a vehicle and
use it for a buiseness... i.e. a loaded van or truck,

But you got away with it if it was not allowed, and prolly had a good case
if someone had stoped you,

Old April 1st 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.driving
Brimstone

In ,
CampinGazz said:
"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
Took a test-drive this morning in a tow car we were considering
buying. As part of the test-drive, I wanted to tow our caravan, and
duly took it out for a spin.

The dealer wasn't sure whether or not it was legal to tow on trade
plates. As I was towing as a legitimate test-drive (I towed from the
caravan storage site up and down a few hills and put it back into
storage 30 mins later), I would have thought it was a legitimate use
of trade plates. Anyone know whether it was or not?

Probably not, i know your not allowed to use trade plates on a
vehicle and use it for a buiseness... i.e. a loaded van or truck,

But you got away with it if it was not allowed, and prolly had a good
case if someone had stoped you,

It sounds like a good argument to me, given that it was a customer's test
drive using his own 'van rather than a trader using it for business.

If a potential customer can't use his own (or a similar) 'van to test the
suitability of a car for the job then it's not an adequate test drive is it?

Old April 1st 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.driving
Roy

Brimstone said the following on 01/04/2006 13:47:
In ,
CampinGazz said:
"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
Took a test-drive this morning in a tow car we were considering
buying. As part of the test-drive, I wanted to tow our caravan, and
duly took it out for a spin.

The dealer wasn't sure whether or not it was legal to tow on trade
plates.

Trade plates are a temporary road tax + user/owner identification - the
limitation would be the dealers' blanket insurance policy.

Roy