Generator Questions

Old April 1st 06, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Springtime

Default Generator Questions

Having recently bought a Kipor generator & have been sorting out where to
put it in the motorhome for travelling.
It fits neatly in the side locker where it is secured with a strap.
Now the questions:
Am I going to have a problem with the smell of petrol as I would like to
leave it in the van with the fuel tank filled.
I intend to carry a 5ltr can of petrol - I notice that the metal ones tend
to leak slightly around the cap & the plastic ones seem to have a better
seal - does anyone have any recommendations as to the best containers.
I also note that you are not allowed to carry a petrol container - full or
otherwise on the ferries - how do other people cope with taking generators
abroad.
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

SH

Old April 1st 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Springtime" wrote in message
Having recently bought a Kipor generator & have been sorting out where to
put it in the motorhome for travelling.
It fits neatly in the side locker where it is secured with a strap.
Now the questions:
Am I going to have a problem with the smell of petrol as I would like to
leave it in the van with the fuel tank filled.
I intend to carry a 5ltr can of petrol - I notice that the metal ones tend
to leak slightly around the cap & the plastic ones seem to have a better
seal - does anyone have any recommendations as to the best containers.
I also note that you are not allowed to carry a petrol container - full or
otherwise on the ferries - how do other people cope with taking generators
abroad.
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Transported mine in back of my estate car with no problems.

Not gone abroad and was going to say take a plastic container empty and fill
it in France, but you say empty not allowed.
I wonder how many people still do though, full as well.
Guess good boys buy a new one in France and then fill it.

Please reply to News Group

Old April 5th 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

....and Springtime spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Having recently bought a Kipor generator & have been sorting out
where to put it in the motorhome for travelling.
It fits neatly in the side locker where it is secured with a strap.
Now the questions:
Am I going to have a problem with the smell of petrol as I would like
to leave it in the van with the fuel tank filled.
I intend to carry a 5ltr can of petrol - I notice that the metal ones
tend to leak slightly around the cap & the plastic ones seem to have
a better seal - does anyone have any recommendations as to the best
containers. I also note that you are not allowed to carry a petrol
container -
full or otherwise on the ferries - how do other people cope with
taking generators abroad.
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

SH

I tend to carry fuel round in a jerrycan for motorsport events - 20 litres
is the common size, but I have seen them in 10 litres and (I think) 5 is
available. The advantage is the positive closure with an over-centre lock -
snap it shut, sling it anywhere, upside down or whatever, never leaks. New
seals are easily available, but never needed one.

I've taken a bit of spare diesel on the ferries in a plastic 5l can, well
hidden in the back of the car. It's never been found, but I was prepared to
ditch it if they insisted.

For safety I would be inclined to keep the genny empty and carry the fuel
separately.

--
Rich
==============================

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary
and those who don't.

Old April 6th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Malcolm Kane

In message , Richard Brookman
writes
...and Springtime spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Having recently bought a Kipor generator & have been sorting out
where to put it in the motorhome for travelling.
It fits neatly in the side locker where it is secured with a strap.
Now the questions:
Am I going to have a problem with the smell of petrol as I would like
to leave it in the van with the fuel tank filled.
I intend to carry a 5ltr can of petrol - I notice that the metal ones
tend to leak slightly around the cap & the plastic ones seem to have
a better seal - does anyone have any recommendations as to the best
containers. I also note that you are not allowed to carry a petrol
container -
full or otherwise on the ferries - how do other people cope with
taking generators abroad.
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

I can't speak for "abroad" but certainly on the ferry to Northern
Ireland we have to put the petrol out of the can into the car tank..
They don't seem to worry about the car tank or the generators tank.
--
Malcolm Kane