CaravanTracking

Old April 2nd 06, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ferg

Default CaravanTracking

HiAll,

Does anyone have any experience of caravan trackers? I was thinking of
fitting one to my new van but they seem expensive.

It seems you can GPS track or SIM track. One accurate to 10m the other to
2KM.

Anyone used the verilocation VL Trim Trac ? Its GPS but states it needs a
view of the sky .. will not operate in enclosed spaces ...doesthe thin GRP
side of my van count ?

Any help / advice appreciated

regards

Ferg

Eat at the roadkill cafe ' you kill it , we grill it "

Old April 3rd 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

"Ferg" wrote in message
HiAll,

Does anyone have any experience of caravan trackers? I was thinking of
fitting one to my new van but they seem expensive.

It seems you can GPS track or SIM track. One accurate to 10m the other to
2KM.

Anyone used the verilocation VL Trim Trac ? Its GPS but states it needs a
view of the sky .. will not operate in enclosed spaces ...doesthe thin GRP
side of my van count ?

Any help / advice appreciated

Fibreglass is transparent to RF so unless the reinforcement is made from
some metal , the GPS should still 'see' the sky.
It's the roof that's more important as the antenna should see as much of the
sky as possible to receive signals from at least 3 satellites to get a
proper position.
You can fit an external antenna which tend to be small and unobtrusive.

Des

Old April 30th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ferg

Well - i've just paid 234 for a GPS tracker ... it will sleep for a week
then tell me where it is,... unless its moved then i get a text and 15
minute update of GPS position, then if it stops 30 minutes i get a stop
message and location. i also get a message if battery starts to go flat.

Guess its now depends on whether the police will take on whoever nicks my
van. (blimey - i just read this and realised i'm a pessimist .. we're
dooomed !.)

regards

Ferg