Need to break up the journey from Calais to French Alps

Old April 3rd 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

Default Need to break up the journey from Calais to French Alps

Hi all

Last year I drove from home (Midlands) to Grenoble (French Alps) with
the caravan. I stopped overnight in Calais, then at a site near
Langres - and finally Grenoble.

This year I will arrive in Calais at about 10:00 - and am thinking of
stopping somewhere near Reims - then completing the journey on the
following day.

I'm looking for personal recommendation of a site, not far off the
motorway in the Reims area...

Thanks in advance

Simon

Old April 3rd 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Simon Hawthorne" wrote in message
Hi all

Last year I drove from home (Midlands) to Grenoble (French Alps) with
the caravan. I stopped overnight in Calais, then at a site near
Langres - and finally Grenoble.

This year I will arrive in Calais at about 10:00 - and am thinking of
stopping somewhere near Reims - then completing the journey on the
following day.

I'm looking for personal recommendation of a site, not far off the
motorway in the Reims area...

Thanks in advance

Simon

Simon,

Sorry I cannot help with a campsite as that area of France is almost unknown
to me. But if I can offer an anecdote about the French pronunciation of
Rheims. I apologise if you already know but I have not yet found a British
speaker of French that was aware. Like everybody I know we have always
pronounced it -'Reem' and some people I know - 'Reems'. Last year at a
site at Grau d'Agde I met a native of Rheims and he pronounced it - 'Rence'.
The R is rolled and the word snapped out. I confirmed this with a couple of
other French campers and the staff at the site. They said it is just
French. I suppose it is much like some place names in Britain where the
pronunciation bears little or no resemblance to the spelling.

Regards.

Dave.