Removal and replacing number plates

Old April 4th 06, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

Default Removal and replacing number plates

I'm just about to change our towcar. The number plate on the caravan is
attached, I think, with some kind of double-sided tape.

Any ideas how I remove it, and how I might attach the new one (eg where I
might be able to get the same kind of double-sided tape)?

Many thanks in advance!

Old April 4th 06, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
I'm just about to change our towcar. The number plate on the caravan is
attached, I think, with some kind of double-sided tape.

Any ideas how I remove it, and how I might attach the new one (eg where I
might be able to get the same kind of double-sided tape)?

Many thanks in advance!

To remove the old plate you just need to run a piece of nylon line or thin
string behind the plate to cut through the old tape. Then clean off the
residue of the old fixing with white spirit. The new plate can be fixed
with adhesive pads made for outdoor use. I used the Sellotape brand but I am
sure there are others.

Regards.

Dave.

Old April 4th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Leyland_Leopard wrote:

I'm just about to change our towcar. The number plate on the caravan
is attached, I think, with some kind of double-sided tape.

Any ideas how I remove it, and how I might attach the new one (eg
where I might be able to get the same kind of double-sided tape)?

Many thanks in advance!

They're actually foam pads which are sticky both sides. You can buy new ones
from the likes of Halfords. You normally use 3 vertical strips - one near
each end and one in the middle. They come in different thicknesses to allow
for various amounts of un-flatness of the surface where the plate is to be
stuck. The thinnest ones are usually OK for caravans.

To get old plates off, I usually push a thin-bladed scraper down the back of
the plate to cut through the pads. You need to get the residue off the van
with a suitable solvent - line Sticky Stuff Remover. Try to put the new pads
in a slightly different place from the old ones.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 5th 06, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BORG

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 21:35:16 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Leyland_Leopard wrote:

[...]

WD40 will remove the sticky pads as well
--

www.ratrodz.co.uk

XJ900 Trike GS850 Trike

Some people are like slinkys....
no real use but it makes you smile when they fall down stairs!