Off Site Camping

Old April 6th 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Default Off Site Camping

Hi Gang,
I'm new to this group. Just bought a VW T25 Karisma and intend going
camping during the year. Are there any restriction on camping by the
roadside in laybys or down by the beach etc., or do I have to use
camping sites. Please don't shout at me if this is a stupid question
to ask I really don't know where else to find out what the law allows.

Old April 6th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Malcolm Kane wrote:
In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes

On 6 Apr 2006 08:04:18 -0700, wrote:

|Hi Gang,
|I'm new to this group. Just bought a VW T25 Karisma and intend going
|camping during the year. Are there any restriction on camping by the
|roadside in laybys or down by the beach etc., or do I have to use
|camping sites. Please don't shout at me if this is a stupid question
|to ask I really don't know where else to find out what the law allows.

In England and Wales, especially in the South West. you are unlikely
to get
away with camping in lay bys. Someone will probably wake you up in the
middle of the night and move you on.

I have always understood that this was the case here in the Lake
District BUT lorry drivers seem to be left alone.

As a HGV driver myself, I'm fairly sure overnighting in lay-bys is not
strictly legal but is generally tollerated except in certain areas, The
lakes and Scotch Corner spring to mind.

The difference for HGV drivers I guess that we are legally limitted as
to our working and driving hours, however it would be a very foolhardy
PC that moved you on if ou claimed to be exhausted and in need of a rest.

The only reservation I would have about stopping in lay-bys in either a
caravan or camper would be the fact that you are vulnerable to the less
honest people in our society and highly vulnerable to someone running
into you in the night. I have seen the end results of both cars and
HGV's running into the back of parked HGV's at high speed during
darkness and I can assure you it's not a pretty sight, Lord alone knows
what would happen to a camper or 'van when hit at 50+ mph.

--
Jim.

North Derbyshire
England

To reply directly:
replace "nospam" with "henrun" in the email address
Old April 6th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Old April 6th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim