Caravan valuations

Old April 6th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno-Hoo!

Default Caravan valuations

I always like to phone around each year to get the best insurance quote for
my caravan. Problem is, unlike cars, the insurers don't just want to know
what make/model/year of caravan you have - but what it's worth. How is the
owner supposed to know what their caravan is worth when it's several years
old?
The Caravan Club have a valuation service, via Glass's guide, but it costs
money and you shouldn't have to pay out both for insurance *and* for
obtaining a valuation. All caravan insurers should have their own copy of
Glass's and be able to tell you themselves what your caravan is worth.
I've been surfing around the on-line caravan dealers trying to find a 1998
Sterling Europa 460NT for sale to obtain a rough guide - but I can't find
one. So, anyone got any idea what my caravan is worth?!

Uno-Hoo!

Old April 6th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

I agree with you entirely, and what's even more stupid is if you claim then
they all of a sudden know what it is worth. !!!! from the book they have
always had. Thing is most people will always value their own property higher
its a natural thing to do we all like to think we have a caravan or house
thats worth what we think its worth. And thats the figure they quote on so
they get the highest premium. I have been after a guide for years to help my
clients and cannot get my hands on one. I know its annoying I 'm a broker
and a caravanner and get it all the time.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old April 6th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Uno-Hoo! wrote:
I always like to phone around each year to get the best insurance quote for
my caravan. Problem is, unlike cars, the insurers don't just want to know
what make/model/year of caravan you have - but what it's worth. How is the
owner supposed to know what their caravan is worth when it's several years
old?
The Caravan Club have a valuation service, via Glass's guide, but it costs
money and you shouldn't have to pay out both for insurance *and* for
obtaining a valuation. All caravan insurers should have their own copy of
Glass's and be able to tell you themselves what your caravan is worth.
I've been surfing around the on-line caravan dealers trying to find a 1998
Sterling Europa 460NT for sale to obtain a rough guide - but I can't find
one. So, anyone got any idea what my caravan is worth?!

Uno-Hoo!

When I insured my 'van through the CC last year they asked me what I
paid for it and then told me I had done well as its replacement value
(which it would be insured for) was higher. They did actually tell me
the book value but I cannot remember what it is now.

One of the magazines, something like "Buying a Caravan" has a second
hand price guide in the back for 'vans up to 10 years old.

HTH

--
Jim.

___________________________________

North Derbyshire
England

To reply directly:
replace "nospam" with "henrun" in the email address

Old April 6th 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:59:30 +0100, "Uno-Hoo!"
[email protected] wrote:

I always like to phone around each year to get the best insurance quote for
my caravan. Problem is, unlike cars, the insurers don't just want to know
what make/model/year of caravan you have - but what it's worth. How is the
owner supposed to know what their caravan is worth when it's several years
old?
The Caravan Club have a valuation service, via Glass's guide, but it costs
money and you shouldn't have to pay out both for insurance *and* for
obtaining a valuation. All caravan insurers should have their own copy of
Glass's and be able to tell you themselves what your caravan is worth.
I've been surfing around the on-line caravan dealers trying to find a 1998
Sterling Europa 460NT for sale to obtain a rough guide - but I can't find
one. So, anyone got any idea what my caravan is worth?!

If you ring the caravan Clubs insurance line and ask for a quote there
one of the questions they ask is what is the value of the caravan, if
at that point you say you are unsure and ask them what value they
would put on it they will look it up in the book and tell you.

Bill Lord