New for old insurance cover

Old April 7th 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin

Default New for old insurance cover

After a bad smash my van has been repaired under new for old cover but,
although I was assured that the repairs would not be noticeable this has
proved not to be the case. In re-securing the furniture the repairers have
used six small, plastic, right angled items which, they tell me, are
necessary to secure the side walls to the furniture. Problem is they look
unsightly and send a clear message "I have been repaired" to all and sundry
and will, I am sure lower the value on part exchange. Given my insurance
cover is new for old does anyone out there know enough about the industry to
advise me of my rights. cheers!

Old April 7th 06, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Harry Pleavin" wrote in message
After a bad smash my van has been repaired under new for old cover but,
although I was assured that the repairs would not be noticeable this has
proved not to be the case. In re-securing the furniture the repairers have
used six small, plastic, right angled items which, they tell me, are
necessary to secure the side walls to the furniture. Problem is they look
unsightly and send a clear message "I have been repaired" to all and
sundry and will, I am sure lower the value on part exchange. Given my
insurance cover is new for old does anyone out there know enough about the
industry to advise me of my rights. cheers!

Sorry I do not understand.
If covered new for old why did you accept/allow it to be repaired?

Please reply to News Group

Old April 7th 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Caravans are only usually replaced with a new van if the van is up to 12
months old and then only if the repair will cost more than a set amount,
after that depreciation will normally apply. If it was economically viable
to repair the caravan it usually will be repaired. However when you pick up
the caravan you should have to sign to say you are satisfied with the repair
on collection. If not then you should not have taken the caravan home. If
you have signed then your task of complaining will be a hard one. However
contact the insurance company and inform them that after closer inspection
you are not happy with the repair.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old April 7th 06, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin

The engineer said that if it was at market value it would have been written
off but, as New 4 old was too expensive. So, I had no option other than
repair as decision was the insurers who have since denied liability
referring to the underwriters who's reply I am awaiting. Harry