caravan club tow car tests

Old April 8th 06, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

Default caravan club tow car tests

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 17:07:40 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Mine is well within the 75/80% limit

This percentage figure keeps being reduced arbitrarily by several
people. The only figure that I have ever seen that has been published
by a reputable body has been that as a starting point a limit of 85%
of the towing vehicles kerb weight is a good starting point.

Bill Lord

Old April 9th 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 07:51:15 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

The 75% limit was created by the Clubs as advice to members,

I have never seen it, though I have seen the 85% recommendation in
both clubs documentation.

Bill Lord

Old April 9th 06, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
flybywire

It really surprises me that every test report in the mag omits the
manufacturers tow limit.

I wrote to the mag but they wouldn't print it in the mag and said it was
wasn't necessary.

With my car a Chrysler it really is necessary as the 85% rule exceeds the
manufacturers max weight as indeed several other cars do.

Beware

Old April 9th 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"flybywire" wrote in message
It really surprises me that every test report in the mag omits the
manufacturers tow limit.

I wrote to the mag but they wouldn't print it in the mag and said it was
wasn't necessary.

With my car a Chrysler it really is necessary as the 85% rule exceeds the
manufacturers max weight as indeed several other cars do.

I think for people with normal, family cars not many will be within this 80%
rule.
Now I believe this 80% rule is a Caravan Club thing so I'm not surprised
they do not give the data you require in case they embarras themselves.

Please reply to News Group