Warning -been stung with a rotten caravan - need advice

Old April 9th 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Scott

Default Warning -been stung with a rotten caravan - need advice

Hi

Bought a 93 Lunar Eclipse off a dealer last November and the dealer told
me and the wife, everything checked out, no damp etc - we were pretty
new hence why we went to a dealer. Anyway - had a nice holiday and then
put it storage - had it covered. Had it home the last week and and got a
water leak. Anyway -started to investigate and bam.

Previous owner had put new plyboards ontop of the old ones. One complete
side and front - totally rotten. The dealer may have missed it, not
sure. I paid 3K and now saying goodbye to it.

Just a word of warning to those other newbies, dont trust a dealer, take
someone with you who knows something about caravans.

Anyway - I am going to speak with the dealer, as within 6 months and I
think I have some comeback. I have stripped one of the top layers of new
plyboard off and its completly wet. We had no damp smell as the wood for
main frame and plywood is socking wet. Also - by putting in a dmap
meter, nothing came up as need to go through 2 layers of plywood and
vinyl wal covering. Also - one of the walls has a bunk bed on and we
were going to use that this easter - glad I did not as it may have
fallen onto my daughter or son.

Now, if the dealer does not play ball, I am going to need to get a
independant inspector out - any ideas where I can get one and approx
cost. Luckily father in law is a solicitor.

Any advice appreciated. Now looking at far new caravans, 2000 onwards or
may just go and buy a Bailey Ranger

Scott
Old April 9th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Scott" wrote in message

Any advice appreciated. Now looking at far new caravans, 2000 onwards or
may just go and buy a Bailey Ranger

I would think allmost all caravans of 13 years old will have a damp problem.
My present caravan is the newest I have ever had, it was only a few months
old, came from our main Bailey dealer. He had sold it new to a regular
customer who had decided it wasn't suitable for them and had traded it back
for another model.
Previously I had bought caravans of say 5 or 6 years old and run them maybe
another 5 years. All had damp when I traded them.
Baileys have a good build reputation and the one you mention would have a 3
year warrenty for damp when new. Make sure the manual is stamped with a
main dealers stamp for at least the first 3 years to say it was free from
damp.
Ranger is the lowest in the Bailey ranges, and we went up one in our choice
to get better upolstery mainly.
You do have the advantage of haveing had a caravan and you will know the
things you do not like in the layout and the layouts to avoid when
changeing, etc.
When decideing layout, allways put the beds in place as if night time,
surpriseing how a good day time layout can be murder at night.

I find it best to buy s/h from a dealer who sells new as well, rather than a
total s/h dealer.

Please reply to News Group

Old April 9th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Scott

I agree with what you say but no dealer should say they have checked the
vehicle out and all is ok including no damp and there is blatant
covering of walls to disguise it - and its been there long time

Ok - at the time of buying the caravan, I was a newbie. Still pretty new
but alas I know now more than what I began with

Scott