split charge relay advise please

Old July 7th 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Williams

Default split charge relay advise please

The description of your existing wiring is a little unclear from your
message. The relay contains four connectors. Two of these connectors are the
"ends" of the relay energising coil and the other two are the "ends" of the
relay switch itself. They are usually clearly marked on the relay casing,
but if they are not then test them with a multimeter (with the relay removed
from the car) and you will see the coil resistance across the energising
coil terminals. The other two terminals will be "open circuit". It may be
that you are using the wrong terminals, or perhaps that you are wiring them
incorrectly. One of the energising coil terminals should go to vehicle
battery positive (via an inline fuse or a fuse block) and the other
energising coil terminal should go the the alternator auxiliary connection
(the "warning light" connection). As for the main "switch" terminals, one
should go to the vehicle battery positive and the other should go to the
leisure battery positive (both via an inline fuse or a fuse block). The
fuses should be fitted as close to their respective battery terminal as
possible.

Mike

"Glenn Clark" wrote in message
Hi All,

Just wiring up my split charge relay, may be I am thick but I can't get
power across the new relay. I have 1 cable fused from the battery running

at
15.05 volts and 1 from the back of the alternator on the light running at
15:25 volts when engine started, also have 1 earth in good contact with

the
chassis. Start the engine power ok to 1 side and nothing on the other, am

missing something don't think so presuming the relay is naff but just want
to confirm.

Thanks

Glenn

Old July 7th 03, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Williams

Oops. Dreadful mistake! Typing too quickly! One of the energising coil
connections goes to the alternator auxiliary (warning light) connection and
the other goes to earth (vehicle chassis). The description I gave in my
though you might have made! Sorry about that.

Mike