Which Stabalizer?

Old April 12th 06, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller

Default Which Stabalizer?

"Simon" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
My wife is towing our caravan some 250 miles next weekend and its only
the second time she has done this. We need a stabilizer but wanted to
know which one is the best to use.

Al-ko

Please reply to News Group

Thanks David

I have just bought a 1985 Elddis Cyclone, Will it fit on that and also
what are they like to fit?

thanks

Simon

I am yet to be convinced that the expensive Al-Ko (& Winterhoff) hitch
stabilisers are any better than the old-fashioned "Scott" - type blade
stabiliser. The Al-ko has convenience on its side, but against that is the
cost and special (dry) towball required (unless you already have a swan-neck
hitch). Maintenance costs are also higher.

I've used a blade type for years and as long as it is regularly adjusted and
serviced (friction disk changes, mainly) then it works very well. They are
cheaper to buy and easy to fit if you have a flange towball (the 2 bolt
type). Both clubs have information leaflets on the subject which can be
viewed on their websites. Bulldog is the current market leader. Towsure do
a cheaper one, but there have been complaints about the quality.

A google search should provide plenty of food for thought.

John Miller

Old April 12th 06, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

"My wife is towing our caravan some 250 miles next weekend"

B***er the stabiliser - how's your insurance????
No where's that tin helmet?

Old April 12th 06, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

Old April 12th 06, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

Old April 12th 06, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Simon" wrote in message

I have just bought a 1985 Elddis Cyclone, Will it fit on that and also
what are they like to fit?

See Al-ko web site instructions are there, I've fitted 2 any DIYer should be
OK.
The stabilzsers had the special towball required in the box. In the box
were several adaptors to aid fitting to different sizes of shaft diameters.

Please reply to News Group

Old April 12th 06, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"John Miller" wrote in
:

I am yet to be convinced that the expensive Al-Ko (& Winterhoff) hitch
stabilisers are any better than the old-fashioned "Scott" - type blade
stabiliser. The Al-ko has convenience on its side, but against that is
the cost and special (dry) towball required (unless you already have a
swan-neck hitch). Maintenance costs are also higher.

My opinion also. IME, blade-type stabilisers give better anti-pitch control
than Al-Ko etc., and don't cause problems if you tow with a 4x4.

However, if you have a swan-neck towbar, Al-Ko and Winterhoff might be a
better option because the car plate for blade-type stabilisers needs a
completely parallel (i.e. non-tapered) section of swan-neck and some swan-
necks (like the one on my old Volvo 850) don't have a convenient, parallel
section.

FWIW, I now have an Al-Ko AKS 2004 (which came with the 'van), and it's a
PITA to hitch and unhitch. If you have a rear-door-mounted spare wheel, Al-
Ko doesn't have convenience on its side. Sometimes, when opening the back
door to hitch up is not enough, I have to take the spare wheel off. Al-Ko
produce a kludge (which they call a 4x4 handle) to get around that serious
design flaw, but it costs, is not ideal, and might not suit all 4x4s.

--
Geoff